Spring Fashions blossom on campus

Spring is here and the days are getting longer and the sun is starting to come out more. That means it’s time to pack away those heavy winter sweaters and jackets and bring out your T-shirts, skirts, dresses and cardigans. If you’re not quite sure how to channel your inner fashionista this spring, these Linfield trendsetters have some tips to share.

Junior Bouquet Harger said she was exposed to unique trends in fashion growing up in Bangkok, Thailand.
“Being in the city and seeing advertisements in the media influenced my style. You also get to see a lot of movie stars and models walking around,” she said.
She also said that in Bangkok it’s common to see a style that has hints of masculinity and femininity.
“I adopted the trends of Thailand to my own style,” Harger said.
She said she is looking forward to rocking military boots with a flower-printed spring dress this season.
“I don’t want an outfit to look too sweet or too rocky,” she said.
She is also interested in wearing flowy spring dresses with hats, and jean shorts with boots, heels or flats, she said.
She mentioned that she likes to include one eye-catching aspect in her outfits. For example, if her outfit consists of a lot of natural colors she will add in one bold-colored piece of clothing.
Harger said she also gets inspiration for her outfits from websites, such as www.threadsence.com, www.shopruche.com and www.thrifted.net. She also likes to shop at Forever21.
“They’re really cheap and sometimes they have cool stuff,” she said.
Junior Emily Anderson said she got into diverse fashion styles when she attended high school at the Arts and Communication Magnet Academy in Beaverton, Ore.
“I think that my high school helped me think a certain way. It made me not afraid to stand out,” she said.
Anderson said that her style began to take on a more vintage appeal when she noticed to her roommate’s style.
“My roommate was into thrifting and she got me into looking at things in a different way,” she said.
When the weather gets warmer Anderson said she’ll be excited to wear her burnt orange Banana Republic dress that she found for $5 at St. Vincent De Paul.
“This spring I think I’ll be keeping my eye out for mustard yellow and burnt orange colors, floral print dresses, higher-waisted shorts and below-the-knee skirts (if I’m feeling brave),” she said in an email.
Junior Alison Pate grew up in an art-filled community
located on the south end of Whidbey Island, Wash. She
mentioned there aren’t any big-name clothing stores on the island so if she wanted to go shopping, she would have to take a 20-minute ferry ride off the island and then drive 30 minutes to the nearest mall.
Aside from it being difficult to shop for conventional clothing, she said that it really wasn’t for her.
“I always just felt weird in jeans. Overall, I don’t feel comfortable in them,” she said.
Pate became interested in heading to thrift stores to find clothes when she would go shopping with her dad, who she said also likes to find unique items.
“I pick pieces that are fun and that gets a little collective,” she said.
One outfit that she anticipates wearing this spring is a white dress with brown wedge heels, she said.
“I think it’s good to wear what makes you feel comfortable. Dress for yourself,” she said.
Junior Molly Chew grew up in Vancouver, Wash., and said that living so close to Portland may have had an influence on her fashion.
She said that she has never been into mainstream fashion, and she tries to avoid mass produced clothes. In fact, she prefers to get her clothes from places, such as the Portland Saturday Market or Buffalo Exchange.
“Sometimes it’s nice to be uniform, but we’re not uniform so it’s good to look different because we are different,” she said.
Chew said that she likes to create her own fashion. She has been making her own jewelry for years and has even made some of her own clothes.
“Making stuff is really fun. If you make something, it is 100 percent your style,” she said.
Her ideal outfit for spring is a colorful spring dress with no shoes, she said.
“It will be nice to see everybody in bright [colors] again,” she said.

Shoprusche.com
Pros: Eco-friendly clothing and accessories.
Plus sizes.
Features a look-book for spring styles.
Has a great selection of dresses, shorts and boots.
Cons: Moderately high to high price point.

Threadscence.com
Pros: Features a look-book for spring styles.
Has great selection of dresses, shorts and boots.

Thrifted.net
Pros: Low price point.
Unique items that are not mass produced are available.
Cons: Have to bid on garmets.
The selection is limited.

St. Vincent De Paul
Pros: Located in McMinnville.
Low price point.
Able to find unique items that are not massed produced.
Cons: Can be difficult to locate items.

Forever 21
Pros: Great selection of spring dresses and shorts.
Low price point.
Cons: It can take some digging to find what you’re looking for.

by Chelsea Bowen/Opinion editor
Chelsea Bowen can be reached at [email protected].