“Snow” many thoughts on this weather

Kaden Gass, Staff Writer

As I’m writing this, my roommates are overreacting about the snow coming down outside. 

To be honest, as a Coloradan, I’m not impressed by Oregon’s snow game and quite honestly annoyed by the implications of the (very) temporary weather. I went to Albertsons earlier in the day, just before the snow began to stick, and let me tell you: it was chaos! 

We’re talking about a mixture of people who don’t know how to drive and people who feel the need to Doomsday prep when there’s two inches of snow on the ground. Not to mention the residents that need their daily caffeine fix at Starbucks, causing a monumental traffic jam.  Oregon people don’t know how to function when a speck of snow falls.

I understand that this is a special moment of the year for you guys and doesn’t happen often. But, when you cross the Idaho border, honey, that’s just a normal Tuesday in winter!

Growing up, my father was the superintendent of my school district in Colorado, meaning he controlled when to cancel school. Even when there was six feet of snow on the ground and it was nearly impossible to drive, my dad always said, “It’s not enough.”

I’ve only been here for three years, but within my time at Linfield, I’ve missed more school due to weather concerns than I did my entire life through high school. Even our track team in the spring had to brave the harsh, freezing conditions and push through because that was just a reality of the climate we lived in. 

I think the funniest thing by far is looking out my window and seeing all these people take Instagram pictures. The caption will probably be “Took a trip up north for the day!” or “Snow angels!” 

Gag me. You literally put on a pair of your fuzzy Uggs, and your Patagonia beanie and now you’re acting like Elsa. 

By no means do I want to call anyone out (because trust me, I’ll most likely do the same after this article), but let’s try and be original. I don’t wanna go on Instagram in twenty minutes and have this unfold the way I know it will. 

Snow to Oregonians is rain to Californians—a rare commodity.

Taking off my biased glasses, it is nice to see snow again. It reminds me of home and makes going to school in such a rural place feel a lot homier. I sometimes forget how peaceful and happy snow makes people feel, how it makes them want to go outside and create a special moment in time to remember.

Sometimes, it may feel like an overload on social media, but it secretly makes me happy to share a part of my former life in (always snowy) Colorado.