Positive Reviews from Linfield Theatre’s “The Wolves”

Nathan Herde
The cast of “The Wolves” posing for the show

Linfield Theatre’s first full length play of the season is underway. Opening night was a blast. This show was unlike anything I’ve seen before. “The Wolves” is about an indoor girls soccer team made of nine unique personalities that at times clash against one another. These conflicts can be seen as the team goes through warm ups before their games.

What makes this unique is that there are often two, sometimes three conversations happening at once between the players. Irving Flores-Castro, a student who was there opening night said, “I liked when there would be more than one conversation going on at once between different people. It made the characters feel alive, as if they weren’t just characters made to be played but actual people going through life.”

Not only is this show unique, it is also emotional. Lucy Ingam, plays #46 in the play was initially an outcast on the team, but her kind innocence had me rooting for her to find her place among the other girls. Her struggle to fit into a team with established dynamics is something many athletes may relate to.

When many personalities are forced together it can be hard for everyone to get along. Madeline Chandler shined as #25 the captain of the team as her character was forced to take on the role of coach and mediator. Karma Elven said,“it was an interesting way to merge everyday dynamics within a team of girls while also communicating awareness on how we need to hold each other accountable for the things we do and say.” Throughout the play #25 struggles with her role as captain and her own identity, as she rediscovers a youthful energy that she had lost.

While the characters face many personal struggles, they are still highschool girls who celebrate the highs as much as they mourn the lows. Elven said, “The actors do a great job at keeping an overall light hearted atmosphere throughout the show while also dealing with heavy themes. It’s both silly and serious and I’d highly recommend seeing it.”

1