Freshman golfer stands high early in season

Finishing in the top 10 in the Northwest Conference Fall Classic would be a great accomplishment for any female golfer, especially for a freshman. But Maggie Harlow did just that for the Wildcats at the 2012 edition of the tournament.

Harlow, joined her older brother, senior Jordan Harlow, at Linfield after four years at Glencoe High School in Hillsboro, Ore., where she competed in golf, basketball and soccer.

Freshman Maggie Harlow led the Wildcats’ golf team during the fall with an average round of 87.1 strokes. Harlow will compete at the Pacific University Invitational starting March 9 and 10. The event is held at the Reserve Vineyards and  Golf Club in Aloha, Ore. Joel Ray/Senior photographer
Freshman Maggie Harlow led the Wildcats’ golf team during the fall with an average round of 87.1 strokes. Harlow will compete at the Pacific University Invitational starting March 9 and 10. The event is held at the Reserve Vineyards and Golf Club in Aloha, Ore.
Joel Ray/Senior photographer

An elementary education major, Harlow was able to become familiar with classes and life at Linfield during the fall.

“I was already pretty familiar with Linfield because of Jordan,” Harlow said. “I really like it here. I like the small class sizes.”

Not long into her first semester, Harlow’s golf season began, where she joined the other Linfield golfers.

“I love the coach [Brynn Hurdus],” Harlow said. “It’s fun to be in a competitive setting.”

Harlow started off the fall season decently, finishing in the middle of the pack in both of her first two tournaments.

But when the Linfield Classic came to Michelbook Country Club, Harlow’s game turned up a notch. The freshman placed first in the dual tournament versus Corban College, shooting an 81.

“My best tournament was at Michelbook,” Harlow said.

Playing great golf, Harlow was able to place 10th at the NWC Fall Classic, shooting 170 during the two rounds. Her play, along with junior Alexandria Smith’s, led the Wildcats to a fifth place finish in the eight-team tournament.

“I was happy with being in the top 10 in the conference tournament,” Harlow said. “I want to get better in the spring.”

Taking the winter off, Harlow started the spring season March 3. Going into this season, Harlow has some personal and team goals.

“I want to be more consistent,” Harlow said. “I would like to shoot in the low 80s and even break 80. I would like to place better in the Spring Classic, and I hope the team places third.”

Harlow has already started her spring campaign at the Pacific Lutheran Invitational. Harlow tied for sixth at the one day tournament.

The Wildcats continue their season at the Pacific Invitational on March 9 and 10.

Chris Haddeland/ Senior reporter

Chris Haddeland can be reached at [email protected].