Iowa Women’s Basketball Star Caitlin Clark Breaks NCAA All-Time Scoring Record

Annemarie Mullet

Over the last four years, Caitlin Clark has become a household name. Iowa Hawkeye fans and women’s basketball fans have shared an enjoyment of watching the star pull logo threes since she was a freshman. But now, as a senior, she’s reached an audience that goes beyond basketball fans.

From her deep shooting range to her exuding confidence, Caitlin Clark has become the face of women’s basketball for the whole world to see and admire. Her incredible scoring abilities have led to her earning some prestigious basketball awards as well as breaking a number of records throughout her career.

She earned her most recent NCAA scoring record on March 2, 2024 when she surpassed Louisiana State University superstar “Pistol” Pete Maravich as the NCAA all-time leading scorer, passing 3,667 career points. Clark had previously surpassed University of Washington star Kesley Plum’s women’s scoring record on February 15 before breaking the overall record for both men’s and women’s basketball.

“I was watching the game on my TV in my dorm room,” said sophomore Linfield women’s basketball player Makenna Vermeulen. “Afterwards, all of my friends were talking about it and it was just a really big moment for women’s basketball.”

This record means more than just a simple record. What Caitlin Clark has done throughout her collegiate career has allowed for the growth of women’s basketball as a whole. Studies have shown that women’s college basketball is currently averaging about 40,000 more viewers than men’s college basketball this season. The women’s game is being more talked about and watched than ever before and those numbers are only growing.

This is largely in part to players like Caitlin Clark who are redefining the women’s game and demonstrating how talented women’s basketball players are.

Little girls who can grow up watching players like Caitlin Clark will be inspired to be just like her someday. They will be the future of women’s basketball and because of this, the future looks bright.

“I can imagine myself as a little girl watching something like that and just being so happy that a woman broke a record like that,” Vermeulen said. “Female athletes will have more faith and see more potential in themselves. They will believe that they can do something great if they work hard for it. I think what Caitlin Clark is doing will level the playing field for future generations.”

On February 29, 2024 the Iowa Hawkeye announced via social media that she will not be returning for her fifth year
and will instead enter the 2024 WNBA Draft.

After enjoying the chaos of March Madness, it will be interesting to see what Clark will bring to her final NCAA tournament. Fortunately, whether she’s at Iowa or in the WNBA, her impact will remain great as she will continue to smash records left and right.

Despite her collegiate career nearing an end, it’s likely that her record-breaking days are only just beginning.