800 wins: a career of dedication

800 wins: a career of dedication
Nathan Herde

Softball coach Jackson Vaughan looked out at the field at the NCFA Division III Leadoff Classic. He and his Wildcats just won 9-1 over Belhaven in Georgia, giving Vaugan his 800th career win in his 23rd season at Linfield.

“We do things at a high level,” Vaugan said. “We make work ethic a top priority, so I know that I have to model that behavior to the highest extent. Team culture is also so important, even though softball is individualistic in nature. Trying to build a culture in that environment is something we have done, (as well as) establishing and continuing traditions.”

Having a background in playing baseball and basketball, Vaughan’s career started in 1985 almost thirty years ago. He was a part-time football coach before becoming full-time and advancing to also being an assistant softball coach in 2000. In 2002, he became the head coach of softball. 

The current season is going well, with the Wildcats winning the Leadoff classic 4-0. “(The season is) off to a good start,” said Vaughan, “Getting to play three good, ranked teams has gotten us some quality wins.” 

“One of the most fun things about coaching is seeing kids move on,” said Vaughan. “Of course, the top players work hard, but sometimes some of the kids who are the most successful are the kids who are the role players or the bench players who stuck it out who sustained a high level of commitment even though they weren’t getting the extrinsic reward of playing all the time.”

“(800 wins) is a cool record, like any longevity record. You have to be able to stick around for some time, and have some level of sustained success.” Vaughan said on obtaining the record.