Newest television sequel might disappoint its fans

As children, many of us sat in front of our televisions every day to catch the new episode of “Boy Meets World.” This popular show followed Cory Matthews and his friends as they grew from preteens into adults, setting foot into the real world, hence the title.

In November 2012, the Disney Channel revealed that it was in the process of creating a sequel to this once popular sitcom titled “Girl Meets World.”

The show will follow Cory and Topanga’s daughter, Riley Matthews, as she goes on the same journey that many are familiar with.

This program is a great idea to show the new generation a piece of our childhood that many of us still cherish.

In fact, characters Cory and Topanga have been the ideal model  for relationships since the show first aired. These characters are near and dear to many people’s hearts.

However, the previous lack of success for sequel sitcoms does not play in the show’s favor.

The original run of “Boy Meets World” was successful, running for seven seasons, ending in 2000. “Girl Meets World” could possibly be a success itself but the network may have waited too long to decide to develop it.

The Disney Channel has tried multiple spinoffs of their shows. “Suite Life of Zack and Cody” became “Zack and Cody on Deck.” “That’s So Raven” followed Raven’s brother Cory in “Cory in the House.” “Sonny with a Chance” changed to “So Random.” All of these spinoffs did not show as much success as their precursors.

This show might be doomed to that same fate.

The storyline is something everyone can connect to and viewers from all ages can watch it, including the viewers who watched the original show.

However, not many of them continue to watch the Disney Channel. Maybe the network should consider moving it to ABC Family because it would be on a station that has programs the whole family could watch.

Also, many favorite characters will not be rejoining the cast, such as Rider Strong, who played Shawn, and Will Friedle, who played Eric.

These additional characters made the show memorable to our generation, and without them, it’s just plain old Cory and Topanga.

There are supposed to be characters in the sequel that relate to the previous characters of the original show, but it won’t be the same.

“Girl Meets World” has the potential to be a show that will connect our generation with the youth of today, but Disney has waited too long to bring it back. With its current track record of sequels this show may have a quick end before it even begins.

Disney should consider moving the show to a different channel, or putting some of the original elements back in that will allow our generation to still connect with it. Otherwise, this Disney sequel will flop just like the many before it.

Ivanna Tucker

Sports editor
Ivanna Tucker can be reached at [email protected].