Burglars strike campus during fall break

Linfield College Public Safety (CPS), in conjunction with the McMinnville Police Department, is investigating a burglary that occurred in Melrose Hall on Thanksgiving.

Two laptops were stolen from administrative offices on the first floor after some windows were forced open and one was broken to gain access, said Rebecca Wale, director of CPS, in an email.

The burglary occurred sometime between 5:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. and was later discovered by an employee who works in Melrose. The building had previously been secured by CPS and remained closed because of the holiday, Wale said.

CPS notified the campus about the incident Nov. 23. At that time, there were no suspects. According to Wale, the investigation is ongoing.

In addition, CPS discovered a window had also been forced open in Pioneer Hall, but no theft occurred, Wale said.

As a precaution, faculty and staff are encouraged to secure their computers and can request security devices from ITS to lock them to their desks, according to the CPS notification.

Students are also encouraged “to make sure that they secure windows when they leave a room and never prop open doors. Also, it is important to report lost student ID cards. CPS can shutoff access, immediately, and then students can come pick up a replacement card at their convenience,” Wale said in an email.

CPS asks if anyone has information about these crimes to contact its office at 503-883-7233.

Jessica Prokop

Editor-in-chief

Jesssica Prokop can be reached at [email protected].