Young team focuses on post play

Grant Lucas

Review staff writer

After a disappointing  season last winter, the women’s basketball team looks to a cast of young players for a rebound year.

The Wildcats began last season with a goal of finishing in the top three of the Northwest Conference. After winning seven of their first nine non-conference games, however, Linfield dropped its first four conference contests.

Following back-to-back wins against Willamette and Pacific universities, the Wildcats went on a six-game losing streak and fell behind in the conference.

Linfield prevailed in its final game, beating playoff qualifier Lewis & Clark College, 69-62. The ‘Cats finished with a 12-13 overall record and 5-11 in NWC play.

Last year, making the postseason was a goal for the Wildcats. This season brings new expectations.

“I think this team will play its best basketball in January and February [conference play],” head coach Robyn Stewart said. “I’m not really focused on a set end-of-the-year goal at this point. I’m focused on how good this group can be as a team.”

Stewart said because of a tougher preseason schedule, the Wildcats may be better prepared for conference play.

A critical obstacle for the Wildcats is their lack of experience, as the roster is filled with younger athletes.

“I have to have a level of patience with certain things,” Stewart said. “I’m trying not to overwhelm them with so much information that they’re not able to do anything very well.”

Stewart said the team has more size than last year. She said the offense will be more oriented toward play in the post because the inside game is critical to making the playoffs.

Three players return from last year’s team: Sophomores Amanda Nichols, Stephanie Fennimore and Sarah Amina. They saw limited time in the previous season but have potential to provide big contributions.

The ‘Cats received three players from other programs this year. Senior post Whitney Honn transferred from Seattle University, where she played in 16 of 27 games.

“Honn gives you a true post,” Stewart said. “It brings a calming effect to know that she can score down low. She brings leadership both vocally and by example, and she’s been a nice addition to the program in general.”

Juniors point guard  elsey Forrest and forward Nadra Evans bring community college experience after transfering from Lower Columbia College.
Forrest played in all 17 games, starting four, and shot 37.5 percent from beyond the 3-point line. Evans started all 17 games there, averaging slightly more than nine points per game.

“We are really young [as a team],” Honn said. “So I think there is going to be a lot of improvement between now and our first conference game. But I think if we keep working hard and compete, we should have a good year.”

The season kicks off Nov. 21 when the ‘Cats travel to Portland to face the Knights of Warner Pacific College.

The Wildcat home opener is Nov. 22 against Concordia University, with the Chelsea Peterson Memorial Game, named to remember the tragic passing of a teammate two
years ago.