Loss could lock ’Cats out of playoffs

Kurtis Williams

Review staff writer

Linfield football fell 17-9 to Western Oregon University in the Hall of Fame game Nov. 8. The loss delivered a serious blow to the Wildcats’ postseason chances.

As is the trend for most games this fall, Linfield dominated the offensive side of the stat sheet, but for the third time wound up on the wrong side of the scoreboard against a high-quality opponent.

The Wolves are an NCAA Division II team. Linfield’s two other losses were to top 20 D-III teams, as well.

Competing against D-II teams means faster, stronger players, something seniors lineman Taylor Summers and linebacker Tyler McCann know all too well.

“They’re trees out there,” McCann said, referring to the size to the WOU offensive front.

In dealing with explosive senior wide receiver Travis Masters, the WOU defense was also very physical.

“They [had] the most physical defense we’ve played this year,” he said. “But we did a very good job against them.”

Next up for the ‘Cats is a season-ending bout against Pacific Lutheran University in Puyallup, Wash., on Nov. 15.

The Lutes come into the game with a 3-5 record, finding their stride with two wins in the last three games.

A PLU win would create a three-way tie for second place, along with Linfield and Whitworth University. If Linfield wins, the ‘Cats will have sole possession of second place. Either way, the Wildcats have secured second in the Northwest Conference for the third time in as many years.

Against WOU, Linfield started strong on both sides. They forced the Wolves to punt quickly and took the ball 77 yards on six plays to open the scoring.

The touchdown resembled a sandlot play, but with perfect execution from sophomore quarterback Cole Franklin and seniors running back Reggie Ford and wide receiver John Torsey, the ‘Cats pulled it off perfectly. Franklin took the snap and handed the ball to Ford, who pitched it to Torsey as he ran back across the formation.

This reverse is considered a conventional trick play, but the ‘Cats added a unique twist when Torsey  lateraled the ball back to the mobile Franklin, who ran 53 yards into the end zone.

“We work on things all the time and hold on to them when [we] need them,” head coach Joe Smith said. “Usually you worry about those trick plays, but that one we were pretty confident would work. It certainly was a pivotal play.”

This was the high note for the ‘Cats’ game as they only scored three more points. The ensuing point after  touchdown was blocked, and a field goal later met the same fate.

“The PAT was a high snap,” senior kicker Scott Birkhofer said. “The field goal seemed like the trajectory was low.”

The blocked field goal was recovered behind the line of scrimmage by junior lineman Russell Sells.

By rule, Linfield should have had the ball at the WOU 3-yard-line, the point at which Sells was tackled. However, a seemingly botched call gave the Wolves the ball at their own 20 yard-line.

The officials told Smith and his staff that the ball was recovered past the line of scrimmage. After a post-game review of film from the play, the coaches said the ball was recovered almost two yards behind it.

“It really wasn’t even close,” Smith said.

Masters, one of the top receivers on the squad, said he is trying to take a positive approach to his final game played after four years at Maxwell Stadium.

“It was one of the most emotional games I’ve played in,” Masters said. “I definitely think I was playing really high on emotions. I’m trying to enjoy my last week as a Linfield football player.”

Birkhofer, McCann and Summers said the emotions now facing them in this, their last week of practice, had not yet started to set in.

“I’ve had fun; it’s been a good time,” McCann said. “It’s definitely a weird feeling. It’s always, ‘There’s always next year,’ but next year I’ll be watching football.”

Summers, who transferred here from Eastern Washington University, said he will always remember his memories as a part of Wildcat football.

“I know there’s going to be nothing I do in my life that is going to be anything like this,” Summers said. “It’s going to be really emotional. I’ll be playing for the guys next to me and my coaches.”

Birkhofer, known for setting field goal records at Linfield, may be one Wildcat who is not ready to put away his cleats. Given his aptitude for kicking, NFL suitors could call after this season’s end.

“If anybody wants to give me a shot, I’d love to take it,” Birkhofer said. “I’m hoping to hear things after the season, but we’ll see.”