Linfield’s track and field hits the ground running

A Linfield athlete set a record at the Washington Indoor Open at the University of Washington on Feb.  11 and 12, representing Linfield alongside 12 other athletes.

Senior Catherine Street set a new NCAA Division III pole vault record with a height of 13-09.25.

“I have been working so hard and I’m really happy to see it starting to pay off,” Street said.

Street attends the Portland nursing campus, making it difficult to be part of the team.

“I’m lucky the Linfield coaches let me practice at my club, Willamette Strider Track Club in Oregon City so I don’t have to drive every day to McMinnville,” Street said.

Despite not being able to workout with the team, Street still practices on her own for two to four hours a day.

Street hopes to be the first women NCAA Division III athlete to pole vault over 14 feet and hopes to make it to the Olympic trials someday.

Senior Misty Corwin also competed well in the pole vault, clearing 11 feet.

Five Linfield athletes competed in the 60-meter dash and the 200-meter dash.

In the women’s 60-meter dash, junior Melany Crocker ran 8.25 seconds, while freshman Halsie Peek ran 8.21 seconds.

In the women’s 200-meter dash, Crocker ran 27.62 seconds while Peek ran 27.85 seconds.

In the men’s 200 meter dash, sophomore Michael Madden ran 24.17 seconds, junior Clayton Cooper ran 24.07 seconds and freshman Colin Nelson ran 23.67 seconds.

Cooper and Madden also competed in the 400-meter dash, running 53.23 seconds and 53.08 seconds, respectively. Senior Barrett Zetterberg also competed in the 400-meter dash, with a time of 53.85 seconds.

Freshman Madison Trowbridge ran the 800-meter run in her first collegiate indoor track meet, finishing with a time of 2:27.10.

Senior Lucian Battaglia ran the 800-meter run for the men’s side, finishing with a time of 1:58.65.

Two women
represented Linfield in the shot put. Sophomore Courtney Alley threw 30-10.50, while sophomore Anna LeBeaume threw 41-02.50.

“Anna LeBeaume did well in the shot and has a shot at making nationals,” head track and field coach Travis Olson said.

Freshman Garrett Soumokil was the only Linfield athlete to participate in the jumps. In the long jump, Soumokil jumped 19-08.25. In the triple jump, Soumokil jumped 41-08.00.

“Our goal this year is to be in the top three on both the men’s and women’s teams,” Olson said. “I feel like the women have a good shot at winning the conference if everything goes well toward the end of the season.”

Linfield’s next track meet will be a home meet.

The Linfield Erik Anderson Icebreaker is scheduled to start at 9 a.m. March 2 and 9 a.m. March 3.

____________________________________________________________________
Meghan O’Rourke/
Opinion editor
Meghan O’Rourke can be reached at [email protected].