In sputtering win,’Cats secure the streak

Grant Lucas
Review staff writer
Linfield football avoided an upset at the hands of the University of Puget Sound on Nov. 1, 32-24, extending its all-divisions record of consecutive winning seasons to 53.
The victory improves Linfield’s overall record to 5-2 and 4-1 in conference play, and it remains in second place behind the ninth-ranked Bearcats of Willamette University.
Sophomore quarterback Cole Bixenman came off the bench in the second half, throwing for 104 yards on 5-8 passing and a touchdown. He also ran in a score early in the fourth quarter, securing the Wildcat win.
“At halftime, Coach [Elliot] just said, ‘Bix, you’re in,’” Bixenman said. “First thing I wanted to do was just win the game and get things back on track.”
Though UPS outgained Linfield 434-208 yards, two crucial Logger offensive mistakes helped the Wildcats to an early lead.
In the first quarter, UPS senior kick returner Isaac Blum mishandled a Linfield punt, and Wildcat senior rover Dean Kongslie scooped it up and scampered into the end zone for the game’s first score.
Later in the first, UPS had possession inside its own 10-yard line. The following miscue on an option play resulted in a Linfield safety, giving the ’Cats a 15-0 lead.
UPS, behind versatile junior quarterback Kavin Williams, closed the gap to 15-14 after Williams rushed for two touchdowns.
Senior placekicker Scott Birkhofer contributed early in the third quarter when he booted a 42-yard field goal to put the Wildcats ahead by four.
With a little more than four minutes remaining in the third, Bixenman hooked up with senior wideout Travis Masters for a 12-yard touchdown.
Bixenman tallied Linfield’s final score on the opening play of the fourth quarter with a two-yard run that capped off a 47-yard drive, giving the ’Cats a comfortable lead.
The Loggers refused to concede as Williams marched UPS 80 yards, ending in a four-yard touchdown pass to senior running back Silas Paul. Williams played an enormous game, nearly single-handedly keeping UPS alive as he rushed for 201 yards and threw for 145.
Standout senior monsterback Tyler McCann led the way for the Linfield defense as he recorded 10 tackles. The only two sacks were credited to senior defensive end Taylor Summers, who also added six tackles.
“I was very pleased with how Bixenman came in and played,” head coach Joe Smith said. “He’s getting better and better each week, and he really sparked our offense in the second half.”
Sophomore quarterback Cole Franklin made the start for Linfield, completing five of 10 passes for 75 yards but was intercepted twice on long attempts.
The annual Hall of Fame Game is next on Linfield’s agenda as Division II Western Oregon University will make the trip to Maxwell Field on Nov. 8. It will be the ’Cats’ last home game this season.
“We certainly have our hands full,” Smith said. “We just need to show up to practice as hard as we can and if we do that, we’ll be just fine.”