’Cats aim to finish strong

Greg Larson

Review staff writer

The women’s soccer team took the field against Lewis & Clark College on Oct. 25 with only three days of practice under its new formation and new head coach.
Following a slow first half with only five shots by the Pioneers and four by Linfield, the second half proved to be more energized.
Junior forward Rachel Miles scored in the 55th minute to give the Wildcats a 1-0 lead. The ’Cats turned to their strong defense to protect their lead.
Sophomore goalkeeper Kelsey Hasselblad finished with an impressive nine saves to secure the
victory.
On Oct. 26, Linfield took the home field against Pacific University. There were strong attempts by both teams to secure the lead. In the 25th minute, the ’Cats nearly scored on a corner kick from senior defender Martha Inouye to senior midfielder Amber Calcagno, but it was turned away by Boxer sophomore goalkeeper Erin Ichimura.
At the 62-minute mark, Pacific scored on a deflected shot past Hasselblad, and Linfield was unable to return the blow.
With only four games remaining, each match becomes more important for the Wildcats. This weekend, the team faces George Fox University and the University of Puget Sound.
“We are excited to play the remaining games,” Miles said, noting that both teams are beatable opponents.
The order favors Linfield, as they play the more difficult UPS on Nov. 2.
“We could pull out a win, which would be a great against such a tough team, but everyone needs to play well,” Miles said.
The team has dropped three of its last four games and is hungry for a victory. The ’Cats will try to close out the season on a strong note.