Experienced core bolstered by young talent

Will Hermens

Review staff writer

The women’s swimming team returns with an experienced core while adding an abundance of youth for the coming season.
After a year of many individual achievements, the team sets its sights toward the top of the Northwest Conference.
Last year, the women’s team finished with a 1-8 overall record and a 1-6 record against conference opponents, finishing seventh out of eight teams.
“Keeping the same team intact for the year will be a key factor,” head coach Gary Gutierrez said.
The team added more swimmers to its roster this year after struggling to find athletes last year. The team features 11 first- or second-year members but still has upperclassman leadership.
“We have so many new kids, I don’t know how they will respond,” Gutierrez said.
Led by senior Rose Hollingsworth, the reigning NWC 100-yard backstroke champion, the team will work to improve from last year’s conference record.
Hollingsworth, a two-time competitor at the NCAA championship, returns as one of three seniors. After breaking her own school record in the 100 backstroke and finishing fourth in the 200 backstroke, Hollingsworth aims to improve her times in order to qualify for the NCAA championship for the third time.
“We have a better chance to score more points with our depth,” Gutierrez said.
Last year, the team had difficulty filling race events because of the small squad, but Gutierrez said he believes the team will improve.
The strong turnout will allow for scoring more points because each event will have two or three swimmers, not just one.
Along with Hollingsworth, the team will likely look at the younger swimmers to step into new leadership roles.
Gutierrez has already seen one swimmer excel even before the first meet of the season.
“Fatima Valle has already been training at the level she was at last year,” Gutierrez said.
Gutierrez said sophomore Valle’s swimming times from practice are lower than times she swam for the final meet last season. He added that working hard never presented itself as an issue for Valle.
“The team has been enjoying each other’s company; they are closer than last year,” Gutierrez said.
Gutierrez said he believes the team will place higher in the league standings, adding that he does not worry about the youth of the team.
He also said that with many swimmers on the team having a club background, the team has more
experience.
This weekend will serve as an early test for the team.
The team will travel to Forest Grove, Ore., for the NWC Pentathlon today and the NWC Relays on Nov. 1.