Mixed results as fall season ends

Katy Thompson & Heather McClellan

Review staff writers

At the Northwest Conference Fall Classic on Oct. 18 and 19, the men’s golf team topped the field of competition, while the women’s team finished fifth of eight teams.

Key players for the men were co-captains senior Andrew Fitch and junior Tyler Nelson, as well as juniors Yutaro Sakamoto and Joel Rychard and freshman Alex Fitch. The five players were the starters in the NWC Fall Classic. Their combined scores gave the team a three stroke win.

“The team eeked out a victory,” senior Kevin Duerr said. “The Fall Classic was tough, and if we would not have set the goals we did, ‘Play hard every day no matter what,’ we would not have had gained the skills to compete at this level. Although we have the talent for it, we just have to always play through.”

The mentality of playing through helped the ‘Cats garner the win.

“We have got to watch our backs,” Duerr said. “People will be gunning for us, and we have got to make sure that we are strong and focused in the future.”

Head coach Greg Copeland’s coaching style will aid in the team’s ensurance of victory during the spring season.

Rychard said Copeland is the perfect coach, both focused and laid back.

“I think Coach will have us work on our short game this spring,” Rychard said. “Our short game has been a big thing that he has been trying to improve upon throughout the fall season, and he will probably have us continue to work on it in
the spring.”

Top scorers for the women’s team were sophomore Brynn Hurdus and junior Brittany Johnston, with two-day total scores of 170.

The ‘Cats earned a two-day team score of 730.

“To be honest, we were disappointed,” head coach Karly Cramer said. “The entire team felt we could have played better.”

The course for the Fall Classic was by far the most difficult one the team had played on all season, Johnston said.

“There was more pressure on this match,” Johnston said. “It is difficult competing at the level of the fall championship because the game is more mental than physical.”

Throughout the season, the team has shown improvement, especially since most players are relatively inexperienced. This season there were three freshmen on the six-player roster.

“We all have improved our game, but we did not get our best scores ever,” Johnston said. “Next season, I know we can get lower scores.”

In addition to having new players, the team was larger this season than normal.

Cramer said she is confident that if every team member works hard during the break, the team will enter the spring season stronger. In addition to practicing on their own, members will also be working with a student trainer.

“There is tons of talent on the team, and the team is hard working,” Cramer said. “It’s great to see that there is a good work ethic.”

The spring tournament schedule for both teams has not been announced.

1