Freshmen runners impress

Photo by Alison Pate
Photo by Alison Pate

Will Hermens

Review staff writer

The men’s and women’s cross country teams placed third and first at the Lewis & Clark Invitational at McIver State Park in Estacada, Ore., on Oct. 18.

The men’s team had a strong showing, finishing just four points behind Oregon Institute of Technology.

Killgore said he felt optimistic about the team’s performance, even with junior Chris McIsaac sidelined for the race.

“We would have placed second for sure,” Killgore said.

Junior Shawn Fisher led the way for the team, placing third in the 8k race. Fisher finished with a time of 25 minutes, 49 seconds, just six seconds from second place and 18 seconds shy of first place.

The ‘Cats had a good performance from junior Tyler Davis, who finished in 13th place with a time of 26:35. Following Davis and scoring for the team were freshmen Arian Anderson in 28th place with a time of 27:20, Scott Gage in 31st place in 27:28, Eric Weinbender in 36th place with a time of 27:45, Alex Van Slyke in 53rd place with a time of 28:40 and Lucian Battaglia in 54th place with a time of 28:47.

The women’s team took first place in the 6k race, edging out Lewis & Clark  College by a mere two points.

“We’ve had a lot of people move up,” senior Amanda DeHaas said, referring to her teammates’ significantly lower times from those at the beginning of the season.

Most notably, seniors Michelle Harteloo and Jasmine Klauder both ran season-best times, helping the  team to its first victory of the season.

Killgore praised Harteloo and Klauder for their outstanding races at the invitational.

“It was a long time coming, and I really respect them,” Killgore said.

Harteloo finished in 14th place with a time of 23:47. Klauder finished in 16th place with a time of 23:58. Killgore said he has high hopes for the two runners to carry the conference championship.

The team also had outstanding performances from juniors Marci Klimek and Frances Corcorran.

Klimek continued her outstanding racing this season, winning the women’s race by 20 seconds with a time of 21:35.

Corcorran raced brilliantly for the second race in a row, notching an eighth-place finish with a time of 23:00.

More than just a win, the team feels the momentum it’s carrying forward into the next race.

“We realize that we have a chance this year,” freshman Lindsey Thomas said about the prospects of winning the conference championship.

Five of Linfield’s freshmen made a strong showing. Nelly Evans finished 22nd with a time of 24:12, Brooke Keudell finished in 24th place with a time of 24:17, Shanna Peaden and Gretchen George finished with a time of 24:45 and Lindsey Thomas rounded out the top 40 for Linfield with a 36th-place
finish in 24:54.

Killgore said he expects both teams to place in the top three at the conference championship.

The women’s team will send 10 members while the men’s team will send eight to the Northwest Conference Championship on Nov. 1 in Walla Walla, Wash.