Track & field

The track and field season has come to an end for the Wildcats. Linfield hosted the Northwest Conference Track and Field Championships on April 23 and 24. The women finished fourth place in conference and the men took fifth.
Two Wildcats came in first place individually in the conference. Junior Catherine Street took first in the pole vault, and freshman Anna LeBeaume placed first in the shot put.
Two other top finishers in the meet were sophomore Melany Crocker and senior Brooke Bekkedahl. Both placed fourth in the 100-meter and 400-meter hurdles, respectively.
On the men’s side, two Wildcats tied for third place in the high jump. Both senior Stephen Dennis and freshman Michael Moreland cleared the bar at 6-1 ¼ inches.
Both the men and women took second place in the 4×100 meter relays. The men were tied for first until Whitworth University was declared the winner with a time of 43.03 and Linfield with 43.10. The women came in second behind George Fox University.
George Fox swept the women’s meet with 219 points, while Whitworth won first place for the men with 242 total points.
The Wildcats have two more weekends to qualify and move on to compete in the NCAA Division III Championships. The ’Cats will travel to the Pacific Twilight meet at Pacific University in Forest Grove, Ore., on April 29 and 30. The competition begins at 3 p.m. both days. They will have another shot at the Oregon Twilight meet May 6 at the University of Oregon in Eugene, Ore.

~Compiled by Corrina Crocker/Sports editor