Track and field anticipates championships

The Linfield track and field team competed against six other conference schools in the Pacific Luau Invitational in Forest Grove on April 9.

In anticipation of the Northwest Championship, the Wildcats performed well and landed in some of the top spots.

There were no team scores compiled at this meet.

The men started strong with sophomore Lester Maxwell winning first place in the 800- and the 400-meter runs. Senior Cory Parrish and junior Clayton Cooper took second and third place, respectively, in the 400-meter, crossing the finish line flanking Maxwell.

Other winners for the men’s side included junior Alex Van Slyke, who won first place in the steeplechase. Freshman Nick Turner won first place in the 200-meter dash and third in the 100-meter.

Junior Eric Weinbender won the 1500-meter run and freshman Joe Gladow won the 5000.

The men’s 4×100 relay team, Cooper, Turner, senior Michael Chopp and freshman Michael Swain also took first place.

For the women, sophomore Jill Boroughs took second place in the steeplechase. Junior Catherine Street won first place in the pole vault and broke school and conference records.

“This season has been going very well so far. I put a lot of hard work in during the off season and it’s paying off,” Street said. “Getting two personal bests two weeks in a row has been awesome, but I still have my eye on that national record.”

Freshman Anna LaBeaume won the shot put and landed in second place for the discus throw. Freshman Kate Shear won first in javelin. Sophomore Mimi Seeley won third in the 1500 and senior Kristen Allen won third in the javelin.

“We have a really talented team and we support each other well. Track is an individualized sport, but the support we have says a lot about our team,” senior Brooke Bekkedahl said. “We work hard and we’re looking forward to running more fast times.”

Street had similar feelings about the team’s success this season.

“All of the field events are doing really well this year and the freshmen have really stepped up to help out the team,” Street said.

The Wildcats will take on George Fox University on April 16 at the Rich Allen Classic in Newberg. The Northwest Conference Championships events will be held at Linfield on April 22 and 23.

Kelsey Sutton/Staff reporter
Kelsey Sutton can be reached at [email protected].

1