Golf wraps up season

After a delayed start to the season, the Linfield women’s golf team played two tournaments this past month. The men’s team continued its spring season, playing three tournaments. Both teams played at the Pacific Lutheran University Invitational on March 13 and 14 and the Northwest Conference Spring Classic on April 3. The men played the Kingsmen Invitational on March 29.

At the PLU Invitational, the men came in first out of three teams with an overall score of 610. PLU followed with a score of 646, and Puget Sound University had a score of 653.

Freshman A.J. Taylor shot 152, landing himself in first place. Junior Alex Fitch followed close behind after shooting 153. Sophomore Josh Kay came in fourth with a score of 155.

The men finished 11th overall out of 14 teams at the Kingsmen Invitational on March 29. The final score was 1,002. Fitch was the only Linfield top-10 finisher at the invitational.

Fitch tied for second with Whitworth University freshman Jesse Salzwedel, shooting a total score of 234. Linfield senior Yutaro Sakamoto was 38th with a total of 252.

“We’ve had some difficult playing conditions. We were a little disappointed with how we played in California at the Kingsmen Invitational, but overall I’m pleased,” men’s team head coach Greg Copeland said. “We’ve got a solid group of guys.”

The men won the NWC Spring Classic, finishing first of nine teams with a score of 625. Puget Sound followed with 634, and Pacific University came in third with a final score of 636.

Four of Linfield’s men placed in the top 10. Sakamoto placed second after shooting 151. Fitch came in fourth place with a score of 156.

“We need to be more consistent in all areas. We need to find the club that consistently finds the fairway for each individual guy,” Copeland said.

The women’s team, which scored 698, was beat by four strokes by Whitworth during the PLU Invitational. Puget Sound followed behind with a score of 739, and PLU scored 778.

Senior Brynn Hurdus landed in second place after she shot 159 — beaten by a close, single stroke. Sophomore Brinn Hovde came in fifth place with a score of 176. Senior Katie Kilborn placed ninth with 180.

Linfield came in fifth of seven teams during the NWC Spring Classic on April 2 with a collective score of 733. Hurdus placed third after shooting 166. Kilborn landed in 18th with 182.

“The main obstacle holding us back now is our consistency as a team. I am so proud of my teammates and have seen so much growth this year, but I know the potential remains for the Linfield
women’s golf team to take the conference championship,” Hurdus said.

Next up, both teams will head to the Pumpkin Ridge golf course to play in the Pacific Invitational on April 16 and 17.

Kelsey Sutton/For the Review
Kelsey Sutton can be reached at [email protected].