Hurdus surges at George Fox

Greg Larson

Review Staff Writer

The Wildcats had a strong showing Oct. 5 at the George Fox Invitational.

Linfield finished second of three between the George Fox University Bruins and the not-so-statuesque Bearcats from Willamette University.

Competition is high in the Northwest Conference, and the Wildcats proved to be the tougher in the feline matchup of Bearcat and Wildcat, with the Foxes edging out both.

George Fox shot a combined 340, Linfield finished with 354 and Willamette clubbed their way to an even 400 strokes.

The ’Cats were led by junior Brynn Hurdus, who finished the round of 18 holes in 83 strokes. She was followed by freshman Sophie Corr with 85 strokes.

Also golfing for the ’Cats, freshman Lydia Smith finished with an 89, sophomore Katie Kilborn with 97 and freshman Meghan Crowder with 98.

“Our coach told us it is the toughest rated course in Oregon, and our girls did well,” Hurdus said. “There were some tricky holes, but we played through them and finished strongly.”

She said spirits are high on the team and chemistry is playing a major role.

Hurdus’ individual score was good enough for third place at tournament. Corr placed fifth.

With a positive attitude and a strong, young team, Linfield has its post-season sights set on stardom.

“If we all shoot our average or maybe just a bit better, we can make it,” Corr said.

Also, with only one senior, Alicia Zook, on the team, the Wildcats are a group that has several seasons left to mature and coalesce around their coach.

Young talent combined with upperclassmen leadership proves to make Linfield a force to be reckoned with. With individual talents such as Hurdus and Corr and a consistent team, the ’Cats dare to dream big, with a team goal of reaching nationals
this year.

On the docket for the Oct. 18 is the NWC Fall Classic, the most important event of the year, where a good portion of the team’s points are accumulated.

Linfield enjoys a one week break before the tournament, and it will likely use that time to eliminate any lingering problems that have arisen early on in the season.

The team is hopeful about the weather, but prepared to putt in pouring rain.

“We are ready for it,” Hurdus said.