Sports briefs

Golf
The men’s golf team competed in the Whitman Invitational on Oct. 16 and 17, finishing one stroke behind Whitworth University.
On the first day of the tournament, senior Yutaro Sakamoto carded a season-best, five-under-par 67.
With a 72, junior Alex Fitch took fourth place.
Whitworth was in the lead with a 292, and the Wildcats were behind by five strokes.
On the second day, Sakamoto remained in the lead and received medalist honors for a total score of 139.
Junior Alex Fitch hit a round-best 71 on Oct. 17 and finished with a total score of one-under-par 143.
Freshmen Tommy Schmitz and A.J. Taylor tied for 18th place with scores of 156.
The Wildcats ended their game five strokes behind Whitworth to one stroke down for a final score of 592.

-Compiled by Tim Marl

Swimming
Half of last year’s swimmers graduated, and the team this year is as fresh as the water in the pool.
Team captains junior Marc Pereira and senior Adriana Daoust said they see this year as an opportunity to grow a new team into a close-knit unit capable of winning and producing a new generation of Linfield swimmers.
They organize weekly bonding events, such as pantless Tuesdays and “feed the upperclassmen” brunches. The two ensure that, although the teams are separated by gender, they are not treating them as such.
Head coach Gary Gutierrez, said the team’s youth can be a beneficial factor.
“Having role models to look up to is good, but having too many talented people can be off-putting,” he said.
As for specifics on what he intends to do to make the team a success, Gutierrez said it’s up to the team to decide what it wants to focus on.
“Those guys are more in charge of their experience here than I am,” he said.

-Compiled by Matt Sunderland