‘Cataclysm’ approaches for WoW fans

Deathwing. Image courtesy of Blizzard

Yes, the end is near … or is it? World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, gaming company Blizzard’s next big expansion for the Warcraft Universe, is set for release Dec. 7.
Increasing the level cap to 85 is just one of the new adventures Blizzard undertakes for this expansion. Others include a complete level 1-60 environment and questing revamp, new level 80-85 content, revamped raids, revamped UI’s and a new bamf to kill at the end of it all: Deathwing.
That’s right, Deathwing (a giant, bamf dragon, for those of you not privy to World of Warcraft lore) is coming, and he is pissed. He is so powerful that he actually “sunders” the land when he returns, causing the Cataclysm.
This expansion has all 12 million of Blizzard’s loyal subscribers (that’s right, 12 million) either drooling at the mouth or trembling in fear as to which direction the expansion will take the game.
For all the noobs out there, Blizzard has been increasingly pushing for conformity in the game mechanics (multiple classes having the same role or abilities), which is different from where the game began (everyone being completely independent).
What do I have to say about it? Well, there isn’t much to be said. With the release of patch 4.0.1, Blizzard has definitely made things different. As always, new things can be difficult to learn at first, but most of the experienced players are already well-attuned to the new mechanic changes Blizzard has made, and a majority of them are happy with it.
Coming off an expansion that was lackluster at best (World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King), Cataclysm seems to be a promising game.
An updated graphics engine along with changed class/game mechanics and a new raid system will breathe a second life into this game.
Not like Blizzard has much to worry about though. Still increasing in subscribers, this game is ceasing to die despite all the criticism it receives from pop culture.
With Activision now backing Blizzard and running all the finances, new paid features have been spawning like a zergling mass in StarCraft II. Race change, faction change and even purchasable in-game pets and mounts have increased the income for Blizzard.
So what is the final verdict you ask? Even though I personally wish it would die so another game can take over, World of Warcraft: Cataclysm seems to be a promising expansion for the No. 1 MMORPG of all time. With all the new features and graphical changes, new and old players alike should find it an interesting take on the popular gaming series.

Clayton Martin/Freelancer
Clayton Martin can be reached at [email protected].

1