New LAB Series: A Look at True Crime

xr%3Ad%3ADAFxKrTeJuw%3A10%2Cj%3A3563897476323337490%2Ct%3A24040823
Mariah Johnston
xr:d:DAFxKrTeJuw:10,j:3563897476323337490,t:24040823

Ever been on a long car ride and searching for something to do, decided to turn on a true crime podcast? Linfield University is hosting an examination of the fascination with true crime series sponsored by Linfield’s Learning Across Boundaries (LAB) program.

LAB is an initiative designed to encourage different ways of thinking and address problems that people may share. LAB allows for collaboration among different disciplines to foster a positive environment for learning and teaching. Topics vary, and Linfield has regular guest visitors to talk about these different ideas.

Starting Tuesday, April 9, at 5:30, Linfield will kick off the series with Alisha Holland, Emily Rowney and Josh McCullough, hosts of the Pacific Northwest true crime podcast “Murder in the Rain.” Holland and Rowney talk about the victims, motives and incarcerated individuals in their podcast as well as receive professional input from psychologists and detectives. They will be joined by JAMS professor Scott Selberg, as they discuss true crime.

“I am interested in why we like true crime,” Selberg said. “The whole point of this series is to put pressure on the genre and to find out what the effects are of true crime.”

Following this event, on April 16, Evan Shenkin, Linfield associate professor in the SOAN department will be in discussion with Trevor Walraven who works for the Oregon Justice Resource Center. Walraven was previously incarcerated and has a powerful story to tell about his time in prison and advocating for the criminal justice system reform.

“He has a true story to tell that’s about diversifying those voices (in the media,)” Selberg said.

The last event will be on April 23, with authors Leah Sottile and Justin St. Germain, in discussion with Jesse Donaldson, assistant professor in the Department of English.

All the discussions will be met with multiple points of view surrounding the true crime genre. Each individual will bring a distinctive perspective to the table. Some look at it from the victim’s perspective, others from the incarcerated perspective. Through this series, guests will have the chance to see all the ideas and opinions that surround this genre.

“The best way to do this is to go to all three events and make up your own mind and your own relationship with the genre,” Selberg said. “You’re going to have an opportunity to develop a critical perspective on true crime.”