Women’s soccer adjusts to new coach, offense

Jordan Jacobo

Sports editor

Armed with a new coaching staff and a program record of 27 athletes on its roster, the women’s soccer team has two challenges this season: competing in a conference loaded with talent across the board and trying to figure out its identity.

Bouncing back from a two-loss road trip in California where head coach Yi Lin Liu saw his offense-heavy 3-4-3 formation produce just two goals, the ‘Cats stepped up their game and surpassed expectations by knocking off Division II Western Oregon University in overtime.

Struggling to keep possession of the ball and managing just six shots on goal, Linfield fended off the WOU attack with the help of nine saves by sophomore goalkeeper Kelsey Hasselblad. As the second half wore on with the score tied nil, Hasselblad came up with save after save to leave the Wolves reeling despite keeping the ball in their attacking half for much of the game.

It took just five minutes of overtime for Linfield to score the golden goal. From the left wing, senior Kate Franklin snuck past a WOU defender and lofted the ball toward the goal, where it was met by the foot of senior forward Kelli Gillespie. When the shot bounced off the goalkeeper, senior forward Emma Triplett sent a quick shot into the open net for the game-winner.

Triplett celebrated by running to the corner of the field with her arms extended toward the raucous home crowd. She was met by all 10 of her teammates on the field, including Hasselblad, who ran from the other goal to hug her
excitedly.

Next up for the ‘Cats is the conference opener against Whitworth University on Sept. 20. The weekend home game is followed by another match against Whitman College the following day.

The win came at a time when it seemed most needed. Since winning its first game against Northwest Christian College on Sept. 1, Linfield has struggled to find its schematic fit. The lack of definition in this team’s own self-identity is fueled by veterans accustomed to former head coach Melanie Langley’s style of coaching, an on-the-job learning process by Liu and the 11 incoming freshman who are catching up to the rigorous college game.

“[Linfield] has been new to us,” Liu said of the hurdles he and assistant coach Kelly Baker face. “This is a totally different system, but we have a good team with the potential for lots of improvement.”

Liu, who spent 11 seasons at Hanover College in Indiana, is accustomed to turning mid-level teams into elite competitors.

He led the women’s soccer program at Hanover to two consecutive conference titles just six years after taking over. When Langley stepped down from her job at Linfield to take a position at Portland State University, the ’Cats needed someone to revive the team, and Liu seemed to be the right fit.

During the last three weeks, the focus has been on figuring out where everyone would best be suited to get the team to its full potential.Though the job of redefining a team of both veterans and newcomers can be almost endlessly complex, Liu’s mantra is a simple one: Play hard. Play smart.

Triplett said the biggest adjustment for many seniors on the team has been changing the style of play.

Under Langley, the team was focused on defense. Under Liu, the offense has seemed to take on a larger role than expected.

“It’s just up to us to trust our coach and get the freshmen to support him,” Triplett said. “We’ve all played here. We all know the game. To adjust, we have to break out of some of our old
habits.”

Triplett is the only player with more than one goal through the first four games. Her performance has been a bright spot for an offense that has been tepid at best, managing just five goals.

Stepping up to keep the games low-scoring, and therefore always within striking distance for the ‘Cats, has been Hasselblad in front of the net. She has allowed just four shots to get past her while logging 31 saves.

“It’s been a battle,” said Hasselblad, who has likely seen the biggest increase in responsibility since Liu’s decision to move to a 3-4-3 formation. “They want to focus on offensive structure more than defensive
structure.”

Despite the challenge of adjusting to a new style of play, a new coach and a supporting cast filled with new faces, Hasselblad said it is up to the leaders to make the plays, make the effort and motivate this team to improve upon its sixth-place conference finish from last season.

“The returners are stepping up the way we need them to,” she said. “When we’re all out there together, we have a great team chemistry.”