Golfers keep momentum

Junior Jason Erwin tees off during the Linfield Invitational, where many of the team placed in the Top 25. Katie Paysinger/ Senior photographer
The men’s golf team posted positive results Sept. 24. It earned a top spot during the Linfield Invitational hosted at Michelbook Country Club in McMinnville. The women’s team did well, too, Sept. 18 and 19.
Men’s golf received first place with a score of 300, beating out Pacific University.
Junior Alex Fitch set a personal record. He hit his career-first sub-par round. He began with three birdies on the first four holes and then by the 18th hole Fitch obtained another birdie, setting his record. He claimed third place at the Invitational.
Many of his teammates placed in the Top 25, too. Freshman
A.J. Taylor tied for seventh place; senior Yutaro Sakamoto placed eighth; senior Evan Wallace received 22nd; and freshman Tommy Shmitz tied for 24th.
The women’s golf team earned second place during the Pacific Fall Invitational on Sept. 18 and 19 at Quail Valley Golf Course in Banks, Ore. They finished just five shots behind winner Whitworth University.
In the women’s team, two golfers placed in the Top 10. Senior Brynn Hurdus came in second place, and sophomore Brinn Hovde finished at ninth.
The Wildcats return to action Oct. 1 at the Willamette Three-Way scheduled for Salem’s Illahe Hills Country Club.

~Compiled by Tim Marl

1