Women’s tennis doubles set for nationals

Dominic Baez

Managing editor

Riding a 12-match winning streak, tennis doubles partners senior Kasey Kuenzli and sophomore Sallie Katter earned the chance to participate in the NCAA Division III National Championship tournament, which began May 14 in St.Peter, Minn.

Katter and Kuenzi qualified to go to the championship event hosted by Gustavus Adolphus College, which will be played at the Lloyd O. Swanson
Tennis Center.

The individual championship draw was announced Wednesday before the first-round matches.

In addition to the eight teams participating in the NCAA Division III National Championship, 32 singles players and 16 doubles teams are set to compete.

The doubles tournaments, in which Kuenzli and Katter will participate, begins today with the first round of doubles play starting at 3 p.m.

The individual tournaments will continue through May 17 with the doubles quarterfinals at 3 p.m.

Tournament play is scheduled to conclude May 18 with the doubles semifinals at 2 p.m. and the final
at 4 p.m.

Kuenzli and Katter, who have been carried on a wave of momentum, won the prestigious ITA West Region doubles title last fall, earning ITA All-America honors.

The two were also all-conference performers during the Northwest Conference portion of the spring season, compiling a 16-3 record.

During the regular season, the duo helped the ’Cats earn an 18-6 overall record.

Kuenzli and Katter have a combined career doubles record of 94-28.

For more information regarding the championship, visit www.gustavus.edu/events/athletics/tennis/2008.