Senate reverses resolution decision

Coal Smokestack

In a stunning reversal, the Associated Students of Linfield College Senate changed course Monday night and voted in support of a Greenfield resolution advocating for the closure of an Oregon coal plant by 2014 instead of 2020.
This result is in stark contrast to the vote a month ago, when senators nearly unanimously voted down the resolution.
At the May 17 ASLC Senate meeting, Greenfield, in conjunction with the Sierra Club, a national environmental group, presented its resolution for a second time to have the Boardman Power Plant, owned by Portland General Electric, cease energy operations involving coal by either closing down or switching to “green” energies, by 2014 instead of the stated date of 2020.
This push came after PGE said it would move the closing date from 2040 to 2020.
When Greenfield last came to request Senate’s support, it was unable to field in-depth questions regarding economic and environmental aspects, which, in great part, led the Senate to vote against the resolution.
This time, despite senators questioning the validity of having the same resolution appear on the agenda so quickly after it was dismissed, few questions were asked, and the motion to support the resolution passed overwhelmingly.
However, not 20 minutes later, discussion revved up again, as senators bickered whether defeated resolutions should be allowed on the agenda so soon after their defeat.
Senators in favor of the resolution, claimed that allowing the resolution back on the agenda enabled senators to make a more informed decision, as they understood the minutiae.
Other senators, however, bemoaned the act, saying that such allowances would set a negative precedence in which clubs that are dissatisfied with a Senate vote could simply request to be on the agenda until they obtain a more satisfactory answer.
Discussion continued for nearly 20 minutes as senators volleyed ideas and complaints back and forth.
Junior ASLC President Colin Jones even suggested that if senators were so distressed about the contentious issue, they could vote to rescind it.
But after all the vitriol, the issue fell to the wayside, and Senate went on with its business.
Dominic Baez
Freelancer Dominic Baez can be reached at

2