Strong season puts conference title within track team’s grasp

In a last-chance effort to qualify for the conference championships, Linfield track and field competed in the Rich Allen Classic in Newberg, Ore., on April 17.
The Wildcats made a strong showing among its competitors, including Pacific and George Fox universities.
The distance runners all ran in the 1,500-meter run in an attempt to keep their legs ready for more important races down the road.
Senior Shawn Fisher won the men’s 1,500 with a time of four minutes, two seconds. Sophomore Eric Weinbender finished behind him, running a personal best of 4:05.
On the women’s side, Linfield nearly swept the track. Senior Marci Klimek won the 1,500 with a time of 4:54, followed by sophomores Nelly Evans and Shanna Peaden, who placed second and third, respectively.
In the sprints, freshman Lester Maxwell entered the 400 April 17 intending to stay fresh for the conference championships. He won the event with a time of 49.44.
Maxwell said that he was pleasantly surprised by his time, considering he had not run the open 400 since high school in 2007.
“I’ve been waiting to jump in on an open 400, and Garry [Killgore] finally gave me the opportunity last Saturday,” he said.
With the third-fastest time in the conference, Maxwell will be an athlete to watch as conference and nationals approach, coach Garry Killgore said.
Senior Stephen Dennis placed second in the high jump, reaching 1.95 meters.
In the throws, senior Clint Moore won the hammer and discus and placed second in the shot put. He will enter the discus in the championship, aiming for a title after taking second place last season.
Moore, who will compete in all three throws during conference, said that he attributes much of his success this season to the early start he had.
“Last season I got a late start on training in part because of being abroad during January Term,” he said. “This season I began weight training the first week of school and competed in our indoor season for the first time.”
Sophomores Catherine Street and Misty Corwin, along with freshman Ryann Nolan, took first, second and third place, respectively. Street, who had already broken the school record in the pole vault, reached 13 feet, 1.5 inches.
The Wildcats will compete in the NWC Championships in Spokane, Wash., April 23-24.
Nic Miles
Sports reporterNic Miles can be reached at [email protected]