Lacrosse ends season with second loss to UPS

Sophomore Erika Helm-Buckman
Sophomore Erika Helm-Buckman retrieves the ball and attempts to clear it during Linfield’s 17-19 loss to Pomona-Pitzer on April 10. Bridgette Gigear/Freelancer.

The lacrosse team left Tacoma, Wash., after wrapping up a season-ending loss to the University of Puget Sound, 12-22, on April 17.
Linfield ended with a 2-8 record, with the two wins occurring midway through the short season.
The game was evenly matched with neither team scoring a goal until seven minutes in when UPS freshman Julia Schulman found the net. Linfield sophomore Anna Gorciak quickly responded, putting one in the back of the net.
The ’Cats took an early 3-2 lead when sophomore Erika Helm-Buckman netted an unassisted goal.
After the Loggers notched back-to-back scores, the Wildcats regained control, tallying four straight goals to take what would be their last lead of the match.
UPS then strung together nine consecutive goals to end the first half, giving the Loggers a 13-7 advantage.
“As a team, when the other team calls a timeout, we tend to come out half as strong as we started,” Gorciak said. “The Loggers came out twice as strong, and that’s when they scored. Halfway through the second half, when they had an eight-goal lead, I realized it was going to be hard to catch up.”
At the start of the second half, UPS senior Katie Shlesginer scored within the first two minutes. Freshman Mariah Jones got one back for Linfield, although UPS put in two more.
The Loggers took the lead back with two more scores, as Logger sophomore Cathy Soukup recorded a hat trick and secured the lead for UPS.
The Loggers outscored the ’Cats 9-5 in the second half to seal their eighth-straight, and 11th overall, win.
The Wildcats will return next season with a similar team, as only two seniors will graduate: Ashley Johnson and Christina Crane.
“Next season, I expect more intensity and tough play,” Gorciak said. “We’re gonna work hard and play hard. I hope for a winning record and to make lacrosse known as a varsity sport.”
Corrina Crocker
Features reporter Corrina Crocker can be reached at [email protected]