Fifth straight NWC title for ’Cats

Nicole Bennett

For the Review

The softball team secured its fifth straight Northwest Conference title after winning three of four games April 26 and 27 against Willamette University.

The girls beat Willamette, 3-1 and 12-6, in a double-header Saturday.

Junior pitcher Brittany Miller finished the weekend with 25 strike outs and senior Jenny Marshall had nine hits for four runs.

“I think the pitching staff as a whole did amazing this weekend,” senior first baseman Amanda  Attleberger said. “They kept us in every game if our offense wasn’t showing up. I am proud to play behind them each game.”

Miller controlled Willamette’s offense by striking out 14 batters in game one ,and the ’Cats defense held the Bearcats to only two hits. The ’Cats rallied 18 hits in game two, averaging .529 as a team.

“We have been consistent through the season and are peaking at the right time,” junior Kendra Strahm said. “Our hitters are coming to the plate with a whole season of confidence to back them up, and we’re pitching like no one will score a run.”

The ’Cats finished this season with a 33-2 record, 22-1 in the conference. Although the Bearcats took the third game 5-6, Linfield came back and dominated the last game, 7-1.

“We have been successful in our performances because of the amount and type of preparation we have put in,” senior outfielder Stephanie Rice said. “We spend so much time practicing, and even when I am not at practice or in games, I spend time thinking about how to improve and what to do to get better.”

The girls said their team is strong because they work hard. They said the road to nationals will be tough, but they are determined to uphold their title.

“One of the reasons our team is so good is we don’t have to depend on one or two people all of the time,” Hancock said. “Different people have stepped up throughout the season; we know that everyone is capable of getting the job done.”

With the season coming to a close, the women are looking forward to nationals. Hancock said the team has learned how to deal with situations that involve pressure and diversity.

“Our biggest obstacle is that we wear a target on our backs,” Hancock said. “As the defending national champions we are the team to beat.  Every other team’s goal is to beat us.”

The weekend’s games were an indicator that the ’Cats have to work hard and stay focused.

They lost some momentum in the beginning of the third game, when neither team scored in the first three innings. The Bearcats scored four runs in the fourth, and the ’Cats never caught up.

“I want to make every at bat a quality one,” Attleberger said. “I don’t have many left and don’t want to waste any.  I want to stay focused in the box and do my best for my team.”

The ’Cats dominated the fourth game, with seven runs on 11 hits and holding the Bearcats to one run of its 22 at bats.

Rice totaled seven hits for the weekend and said she wants the team to go all the way again.

When asked what her greatest accomplishment for the season was, she said, “It’s not over yet.”

Attleberger said the team’s greatest challenge for the last games of the season is to stay focused.

“We have  already clinched the league title and are looking forward to regionals,” Attleberger said. “But we have to remember these games affect our seeding at the regionals tournament. If we win, we will most likely be the number one seed, which is big time.”

Looking back on the season, the players said they are grateful for the friendships they have formed.

Attleberger said the freshmen have come a long way, and she is confident they will continue to have success.

Hancock said playing softball has had a huge impact on her life.

“My teammates have become like sisters to me,” she said. “They will be lifelong friends, and we have shared many experiences I will never forget.”