Wildcats lose nail-biter to Pomona-Pitzer Hens

Sophomore Erika Helm Buckman
Sophomore Erika Helm Buckman retrieves the ball in attempt to defend against Pomona Pitzer Sagengens in the last home girls lacrosse game loosing in a close game 17-19. Photo by Bridgette Gigear/Freelancer.

The lacrosse team lost a tight game, 17-19, against Pomona-Pitzer on April 10.
With the loss, the Wildcats’ record fell to 2-7 overall.
Pomona-Pitzer built a 12-7 lead, during the first half as sophomore Martha Marich scored six of her eight goals — tied for a game high.
The Sagehens aggressively won the draw, gaining an early lead, and held off the Wildcats during the second half.
Sophomore Anna Gorciak, who tallied eight goals of her own, was impressed by Marich’s play.
“She’s a great player,” Gorciak said. “She is fast and has great stick skills. It was hard to stop her, and her abilities helped them win.”

Sophomore Anna Gorciak
Sophomore Anna Gorciak an attacker attempts to score in Saturdays game against Pomona Pitzer Sagengens, loosing in a close game 17-19.Photo by Bridgette Gigear/Freelancer.

Freshman Katie Keith said that a slow start was the reason for the first-half deficit.
“Our team got a little slow, which caused [it] to have some fast breaks and allowed [it] to score a couple extra goals,” Keith said.
The Wildcats outscored the Sagehens 10-7 in the second half, but it wasn’t enough to take the win.
Freshman Mariah Jones added four goals and three assists. Sophomore Taylor Fisher scored two goals and tallied one assist.
During the last two games, Linfield, while competitive with the other teams, hasn’t been able to pull out wins.
“We need to stay positive and play our best game for a full 60 minutes,” Gorciak said. “We have to be able to work together as a team and execute what we’ve been working on. We have the ability and skill to win; we just need to put all the components together.”
Keith said she sees a more practical method for team improvement.
“To turn these losses into victories, we need to become more dedicated,” she said. “We need to practice as a team and practice the way we want to play in the games.”
Even though their 2-7 record does not necessarily show it, the Wildcats have shown strong improvement during the season.

Sophomore Erika Helm Buckman

“We have become a stronger group of friends, which [has] helped on the field and at practices,” Jones said. “There are a couple girls who have never played lacrosse before, and a majority of the team has never played for Linfield, so knowing the game of lacrosse has definitely developed over the course of the season.”
Gorciak said she sees a lot of potential in the team and a bright future that lies ahead.
“We’ve been working hard and have been adjusting to each others’ play,” she said. “Being a young team, we can only improve. We have great potential, and I’ve seen improvement in all of our players.”
Linfield wraps up its season against the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, Wash., on April 17. The ’Cats fell to the Loggers, 11-19, on March 7 in their first game of the season despite five goals from Jones.

Justin Derby
Sports reporterJustin Derby can be reached at [email protected]