Top picks should be steady franchise cornerstones

Jacob Peterson

For the Review

The United States has focused its attention on the NFL draft. Although it is nearly impossible to predict the madness of the draft, here are some quick prognostics to show how April 26 and 27 might go.

1) The Miami Dolphins select offensive tackle Jake Long.

The Dolphins have already signed the 6 foot 7 inch, 315-pound offensive tackle to a five-year, $30 million contract, making him the highest paid lineman in the NFL. The entire team needs to rebuild, so why not start wih the offensive line.

2) The St. Louis Rams select defensive end Chris Long.

The Rams need work on both lines, so with one Long gone, why not settle for the next? Chris Long can make an immediate impact for the Rams, anchoring the edge of the defense and quickly emerging as a franchise player. Not to mention, he is the son of Hall of Fame defensive end, Howie Long. He is a safe pick.

3) The Atlanta Falcons select quarterback Matt Ryan.

With the loss of Michael Vick, the Falcons need a quarterback. Ryan is not nearly as strong as the quarterbacks of past years, and this pick does seem too high to select this year’s best quarterback. However, they have no choice.

4) The Oakland Raiders select runningback Darren McFadden.

This Arkansas back is easily the most talented player in this year’s draft. McFadden should come in and help quarterback Jamarcus Russell. This may create a tandem we will be hearing about for the next decade.

5) The Kansas City Chiefs select defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey.

What a steal for Kansas City. Dorsey is a massive defensive tackle who runs a 5.12-second 40-yard dash and bench presses 425 pounds. He was the key reason LSU won the national title last season. All of the first four teams will think hard before passing on Dorsey. Don’t be surprised to see him go No. 2.

6) The New York Jets select defensive end Vernon Gholston.

A vicious pass rusher who has tacked up 22.5 sacks in the past two seasons for Ohio State University, Gholston will fit nicely into the Jets’ defensive front. He runs a 4.58-second 40-yard dash time and bench presses 455 pounds.

7) The New England Patriots select outside linebacker Keith Rivers.

Although these cheaters shouldn’t even have this pick, they will be happy to use it. Face it, legendary linebackers Tedy Bruschi and Junior Seau are getting old and are both physically worn out. Now is the time to replace these old backers with a new franchise linebacker.

8) The Baltimore Ravens select cornerback Leodis McKelvin.

The Ravens desperately need a cornerback. McKelvin will be their pick, being the finest corner in this year’s draft. Also, he adds a double threat as a terrific return specialist, scoring eight times on returns and racking up 3.909 all-purpose yards.

9) The Cincinnati Bengals select defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis.

This is not going to make crybaby Chad Johnson happy, who wants more help on the offensive side, but the Bengals need a strong, athletic force to anchor the defense.

10) The New Orleans Saints select cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

This player had a phenomenal performance on the combine, highlights being a 4.33-second 40-yard dash and a vertical jump of 40.5 inches. Was it a fluke? The Saints are hoping it wasn’t.