Linfield University Annual Luau takes a festive turn with first-ever Christmas Show

Photo provided by Deiana Gutwig

Taetum Lynn Kalani, junior JAMS major, captain of the cheer team and Hui O Lokahi co-chair, has taken on the role of starting a Linfield Luau Christmas Show. “This is our very first Christmas show. Our theme is Mele Kalikimaka Linfield,” said Kalani.
The theme “Mele Kalikimaka Linfield” serves as a means to celebrate the diverse cultures that have found a home away from home at Linfield. In line with this, the luau will be conducting a children’s hula class, and these young performers will also take part in the Christmas show.
The Hawai’i club members who will be performing have scheduled practice sessions four days a week, with each day consisting of two to four classes. Each of these classes spans an hour and covers a total of six to eight unique dances exclusively for Linfield students. Simultaneously, the children will attend weekly classes lasting an hour and a half.
“All of this would not be possible without the help of our Linfield ‘ohana (family),” said Kalani.
Kalani said a big thanks go to both the Linfield Theatre Program and the Linfield Music Department for their contributions. The Christmas show is scheduled to take place at Ford Hall within Marshall Theatre and rehearsals will be conducted in the Vivian Bull Music Hall.
“It’s also great preparation for our Lū’au & Hō’ike in the Spring,” said Kalani.
The Christmas show is more than just a production; it holds special significance for those members who are far from home during the holiday season. While some students have the opportunity to reunite with their families, others often cannot. That’s precisely why Kalani and her co-chair, Kami Echiverri, conceived the idea of Mele Kalikimaka Linfield.
The show will take place on Dec. 10, 2023, as Linfield University prepares to deck the halls and spread joy with the inaugural Christmas Luau. It’s an event that promises to bring the community together, celebrating both the extraordinary talent of Linfield students and the magic of the holiday season.