Wildcats gain share of conference lead

The Wildcats warm up
The Wildcats warm up their arms during practice March 10. Coming off a 2-1 weekend against Pacific University, Linfield will take on Willamette University for a three-game series beginning March 13.- Robert Lisac/Freelancer

After blowing out Pacific University in consecutive games, 9-0 and 12-3, March 6, the Linfield baseball team dropped the third contest 3-5 to Pacific, as the Boxers’ defense denied any Wildcat rallies March 7.
Linfield’s 2-1 weekend improves its overall record to 10-5 and its Northwest Conference standing to 2-1, giving the ’Cats a share of the NWC lead with three other programs.
“We came out firing in those first two games,” senior first baseman Rhett Fenton said. “We had a lot of energy, and everyone contributed. We jumped on early opportunities offensively, and our pitchers did a great job of keeping
Pacific hitters off balance.”
In the first matchup in the three-game set against Pacific, Linfield sophomore pitcher Ryan Larson shut down the Boxer lineup. The right-hander dealt a complete-game, three-hit shutout en route to his second win of the season, during which he recorded 11 strikeouts.
“Coming into the game, I knew I had to throw strikes,” Larson said. “I knew that if I were able to do that, my defense would make the plays. Anytime your defense plays well, it definitely helps your confidence.”
The Wildcats gave Larson solid insurance in the first inning, as they drove in five runs thanks, in part, to a pair of Boxer errors.
Following an error that allowed senior center
fielder Tyson Smith to reach first base, another error opened the door for him to advance to third. Senior shortstop Kelson Brown and junior third baseman Dustin Smith added RBI doubles to get the scoring started. Sophomore left fielder Zach Boskovich capped off the big inning with a two-run home run to left-center field.
Larson carried a no-hitter into the fourth inning, when Pacific junior outfielder Jeff Bethke broke it up. No Boxer advanced past second base throughout the game.
Brown led the offensive attack for the ’Cats with a four-hit performance, which included two doubles.
In the second game of the day, Linfield once again utilized the first inning to gain an early lead.
The first six Wildcat batters reached base, including Brown and junior catcher Cole Bixenman, who each delivered RBI singles. Fenton later drove in two runs of his own with a double.
Linfield tallied five more runs in the second frame, blowing the NWC matchup wide open.
Pacific’s scoreless streak ended in the fifth inning when sophomore designated hitter Corby Makin crossed the plate after a double by senior shortstop Brandon Kon. Two more runs would be added in the final four innings for the Boxers.
Wildcat senior pitcher Garrett Dorn earned his second victory of the season after allowing two runs and five hits during six innings of work.
Fenton paced the Linfield lineup with three hits and two RBIs. Boskovich added two hits as well as a pair of RBIs.
Linfield’s prolific offense was stifled March 7, as the Boxers prevented the ’Cats from stringing together any rallies. Pacific senior center fielder Joey Pulito flashed some leather in the field with multiple diving
catches.
Senior first baseman Kaeo Lau Hee collected two hits for the Boxers — one being a two-run blast in the fourth inning to give Pacific the outright lead.
The ’Cats attained a 2-1 advantage in the first frame off RBI singles by Brown and Bixenman.
Lau Hee responded with his first home run of the season. Two batters later, freshman left fielder Nick Tasaka extended the Boxer lead to two runs with an RBI single.
Although the Wildcats threatened to score several times near the end of the game, multiple outstanding defensive plays hindered Linfield from plating any runs.
Bethke picked up his first win of the season after a three-run, six-inning outing.
Fenton collected two more hits in the contest, including a double. Tyson Smith, Brown and Bixenman each tallied an RBI.
“Pacific made some outstanding plays that would have resulted in a completely different game if a few of those balls had dropped,” Fenton said. “It seemed like every time we would start a rally or had runners in scoring position, they would make an amazing diving catch to snuff it. You have to tip your cap to them because they played well and made some amazing plays.”
Linfield returns to McMinnville for its NWC home opener against Willamette University on March 13.
Larson said that, after playing three strong games against Pacific, the Wildcats’ confidence should
carry over to the series against the Bearcats. Fenton agreed.
“I feel like we will have a little more fire this week to ensure another letdown won’t happen,” he said.

Grant Lucas
Sports editor Grant Lucas can be reached at [email protected]