Be conscientious of fashion brands

Ryan Gerdes

Human branding? When did we all become walking advertisements for wealthy corporations?

It is no shock that we live in a capitalist society that values an incessant greed for things of monetary significance. Somewhere along the line it became the norm to spend our hard-earned money to help businesses build brand loyalty.

American Eagle and Billabong should be paying us to wear their apparel.

As a student of graphic design, it is possible I am perplexed by this notion a bit more than others. I recognize good fashion branding not only by the aesthetics of design, but by its effect on the intended audience as well.

Regardless of these thoughts, I cannot deny my affinity for clothing brands, and neither can any of you for the most part. I am writing this wearing a RVCA hat and Kr3w t-shirt. Look at your t-shirt, hoodie, hat, shoes or any other wardrobe accent. It is obvious they are no less than a television commercial or poster in a window. That t-shirt was not sewn together to keep you looking decent and warm. Those shoes were not stitched watertight to keep your feet dry and blister-free.  

I might sound like a broken record, but the truth is most of us swipe our credit card without realizing we are paying to advertise for a company. Instead, we are thinking about getting a cute, baller or sick new product from a popular company.

I am not saying we should band together and form some kind of union against fashion branding. This is a mindset everyone should be wary of when they step foot into a PacSun, GAP or Aeropostale. The moment you purchase that shirt and pull it over your head, you become a product of human
branding.

Would it be too bold of me to ask that you choose your clothing not for the name, but for something more? Maybe I’m just a nerdy art student who thinks too much about this stuff.

Increased interest in American Apparel’s unembellished clothing products could mean we have already become aware of the very point I am advocating. These basics celebrate simplicity and a good fit rather than over-the-top
ornamentation.

1