Anything but cheesy: Edible gifts for the sweet-toothed sweetheart

Athough Valentine’s Day has passed, you can still spread the love with a sweet cheesecake.
Senior Tasha Tolzmann made the desserts and sold them for the holiday, but she’s keeping the sweet-tooth business running by making them upon request.
This Valentine’s Day, Tolzmann sold five cakes. Without a selling goal, she didn’t know what to expect the first time around.
With mostly word-of-mouth publicity, Tolzmann said she sold them to friends.
Managing track practice and majoring in health education, Tolzmann has a full plate, but she found time to make the cheesecakes during weekends.
“They each take about 1½ to 2 hours to make,” Tolzmann said.
Although baking is quite time consuming for the athlete, she says she’s obsessed.
Tolzmann has been baking since her sophomore year of high school but said that this is the first year she has sold her cakes publicly.
She began by making a cheesecake for her father’s birthday and messed up; so, she tweaked the recipe to get the cheesecake she makes today.
“I have donated one once, and it sold for about $75,” Tolzmann said.
Tolzmann will be getting married this summer and will make cheesecakes for her wedding. She plans on making five different kinds and has already started the process.
Not only is baking for the wedding part of Tolzmann’s cheesecake future, but she said she wishes to continue her business.
“I would love to own my own cheesecake bistro someday,” she said. “But until then, it’s a side thing.”
Tolzmann makes a variety of cheesecakes upon request and sells them for about $25 each.
“It’s comparable to the Cheesecake Factory, which sells them for about $50,” she said.
Tolzmann offers a variety of types of cheesecake. She said she is also open to making cakes that are not on her current list.
To order a cheesecake, contact Tolzmann at [email protected].