Fisher, Klimek excel at nationals

Hunter Deiglmeier – Review staff writerCompeting in the national championships and anticipating another high-quality season, the cross-country team wrapped up a successful season.
The team competed in four meets throughout the fall, along with the women’s and men’s championship meets.
The team did not qualify for nationals, senior Shawn Fisher said. However, senior Marci Klimek and Fisher qualified individually.
The top seven individuals and the top two teams from each region are automatically selected to compete at the meet. The Wildcats sit in the West Region, which includes schools from Oregon, Washington and California.
In his individual race at nationals, Fisher recorded an exceptional time.
“I struggled in the first half of the race — I had trouble settling in and dealing with the large pack of people in such a narrow course,” he said. “I still improved on my place from last year, so I’m satisfied with my race. Last year I was 112th, and this year I was 104th.”
Klimek placed 17th in the event.
The men’s and women’s teams both finished with strong seasons, freshman Nic Miles said.
“We were never really faced with any big hurdles, like injuries,” he said. “Looking back on the races, I think everyone put his or her best effort into each meet.”
Although only two individuals competed in nationals, runners such as Miles continued to gain valuable experience through participation in meets.
Next season, Linfield cross-country will be different, as the team is losing valuable members.
“Our top three guys will be graduating,” Fisher said. “There will be no seniors on the team next year — only five juniors and three sophomores. I think they will have to work hard next summer to improve the team.”