Cats even out record

Septembre Russell – Copy editor. Preseason games played during Thanksgiving Break moved the Linfield women’s basketball team to a 2-2 record.
The team competed Nov. 20, 22, 24 and 26 against Northwest University, Cal Lutheran University, Pomona-Pitzer College and La Sierra University, respectively.
The scores were as follows: at Northwest, 52-55; Cal Lutheran, 45-66; Pomona-Pitzer, 76-67; and La Sierra, 76-73.
“Although we lost the first two games, we learned a lot about ourselves,” head coach Casey Kushiyama said. “We lost to two good teams, and we were right in it with both of them.”
The games the ’Cats dropped were valuable learning experiences, he said. They did not let the minor setbacks deter their efforts.
“I think the team came away thinking, ‘OK, we lost, but look at all the positive things that we’re doing,’” Kushiyama said.
Defense and rebounding are among the strengths the players possess as a team, he said.
Against Cal Lutheran, Linfield made use of these skills.
During the game, each player tallied more than 20 minutes. Despite Linfield’s better field goal percentage, 22.6, and three-point percentage, 12.5, the Regals made more than 50 percent of their free throws and finished with a higher overall field goal percentage, 35.6.
“We prevented them from making shots, and we boxed out well,” Kushiyama said.
However, the athleticism of their opponents put the Wildcats at a disadvantage.
“When the other team can jump a foot higher than [yours], there isn’t a lot that you can do,” he said. “They were better than us on that particular day. We are rescheduling a game against them next year.”
The Wildcats rebounded from back-to-back losses during the first two games of the week.
“This team is very resilient,” Kushiyama said. “I believe we understand who we are and don’t get mixed up in believing we are anything else. Mixing a lot of new people playing new roles and then throwing a first-year coach in the mix: No one, ourselves included, thought we would be competing with the teams that we lost to.”
Against Pomona-Pitzer, the ’Cats began the game with intensity, their efforts resulting in an eight-point lead, Kushiyama said. Despite the team’s tenacity, the Sage Hens rallied back minutes later, and the Wildcat lead ebbed down to two points, 20-18.
“The Pomona-Pitzer game was full of momentum swings,” Kushiyama said. “We finished the half strong with a 32-11 run.”
Focusing on improving and working hard each day, the Wildcats refuse to live in the shadow of their previous season, he said.
“People think we’re going to have a terrible season because of how the team finished last year,” he said. “We’re not mad about it.”
Outside of the predictions about this season’s outcome, the team has faced some injuries, as well, but neither setback will do much in the way of affecting the amount of pride the team carries as a whole.
“They trust in each other and get the job done as one cohesive unit,” Kushiyama said.