Swim teams lose despite individual victories

Jessica Prokop – Review staff writer. The Wildcats’ swim team put up a fight but fell short on both the men’s and women’s sides at its Nov. 6 and 7 meets against Whitman College and Whitworth University, respectively.
The first meet took place Nov. 6 in Walla Walla, Wash. Linfield women were in the lead heading into the final event, but Whitman stole it away and won. The final scores for the women’s teams showed Whitman with 106 and Linfield with 99. The final scores for the men were Whitman, 117, and Linfield, 88.
On Nov. 7, the team traveled to Spokane, Wash., for its second meet of the weekend. The final scores for the men were Whitworth, 139, and Linfield, 59. The women’s side finished with Whitworth, 131, and Linfield, 74.
“There definitely is talent on both the [Linfield] men’s and women’s sides,” head coach Gary Gutierrez said.
Gutierrez said the team had good swims on both days and competed well. Unfortunately, he said, Whitman and Whitworth are two difficult schools to beat.
“It is still early in the year, and we have a lot to improve on, so I am hopeful that things will turn around later on in the season,” freshman Miles Phillips said.
For many of his teammates, including himself, he said, it was their first collegiate meet, which was unfamiliar territory.
However, on Nov. 6, Phillips placed first in the 200-yard butterfly and third in the 500 freestyle. Senior Dominic Rieniets took first in the 100 freestyle, and senior Yusuke Kobayashi placed first in the 200 individual medley and the 200 backstroke. Freshman Seth Ruwitch took first in the 200 breaststroke.
Against Whitworth, Kobayashi placed second in the 400 individual medley, while Phillips finished third. Rieniets snatched first in the 50 freestyle, and Phillips took third again in the 500 freestyle.
“I practice with Yusuke every day, and I look up to him because he pushes me to do my best,” Phillips said.
Freshman Catherine Nakamura said she thinks that a lack of rest between the two meets took its toll on the team. However, the team’s losses did not put a damper on its positive attitude.
During the Nov. 6 meet, Nakamura, along with sophomore Chrissy Baumgartner and freshmen Megan Sandall and Maria Schwarz, took first in the 400 medley relay. Freshman Katie Main placed first in the 1,000 freestyle, and Baumgartner took first in both the 200 individual medley and the 200 backstroke.
The following day, Baumgartner won the 50 freestyle and took second in the 100 butterfly. She then competed with Nakamura, Sandall and freshman Rhiannon Ladwig to win the 200 medley relay. Nakamura also competed in the 200 freestyle relay with her sister, senior Christine Nakamura, and sophomores Adrienne Chaney and Melany Krill to place third. Catherine Nakamura took second in the 100 backstroke, as well.
Although the team does not have to travel for its next meet, Gutierrez said that it will be a challenging one nonetheless.
The swim team’s next meet will take place at Linfield at 6 p.m. Nov. 13 against the University of Puget Sound. The Loggers sit in third place in the Northwest Conference with a 2-1 overall and 2-0 NWC record in the men’s and women’s divisions.