Experience emphasized rather than outcome

Joanna Peterson – Review staff writer. The Linfield volleyball team wrapped up its 2009 season with losses to Lewis & Clark College and the University of Puget Sound on Nov. 6 and 7, respectively.
The losses gave the Wildcats an 8-15 overall and 5-11 Northwest Conference record.
The Wildcats and Pioneers tied the first set at 20 until the ’Cats committed three attack errors.
Pioneer junior middle hitter Katherine Fieldler pounded down a kill to finish the first set.
Senior defensive specialist Elizabeth Waddell said the team was eager to do well in the game but struggled to stay focused mentally.
Lewis & Clark made a 3-0 rush to open set two. The Wildcats pushed ahead to take a 5-4 lead until the Pioneers created an 11-3 run. Lewis & Clark led for the remainder of the set and ended it with a nine-point advantage.
The Pioneers then pushed through the third set with help from consecutive aces by freshman defensive specialist Leia Matsunaga.
Sophomore outside hitter Samantha Lau tallied 18 digs, and senior middle blocker Emily Vuylsteke posted nine kills.
Linfield’s season ended bitterly with a loss against UPS on Nov. 7.
“We went in with the mindset that we were going to play hard,” Waddell said. “We knew we had nothing to lose because we weren’t going to get a spot in regionals. They had everything to lose, so we wanted to take away their opportunity.”
However, the ’Cats trailed during the entire first set, allowing UPS to win on a 6-2 run.
Puget Sound surged to a six-point lead in the second set and capitalized on nine kills to win it.
The ’Cats struggled during the third set, as the Loggers tallied 11 kills. UPS also relied on 10 Linfield attack errors to win.
This was the final season for seniors Waddell, Vuylsteke and setter Stephanie Purser.
“It hasn’t quite hit me yet that I’m done,” Waddell said. “It’s weird thinking that I won’t go to practice or play with the girls on this team anymore.”
Despite the rocky season, Waddell said she was pleased with her volleyball experience at Linfield.
“It’s about the people you meet and the great friendships you make,” she said. “I was happier about those than the record we had.”