’Cats clean up act, split weekend matches

Joanna Peterson – Review staff writer. Linfield defeated Pacific University in a four-set home match Oct. 23 with scores of 25-15, 18-25, 25-20 and 30-28. It then fell to Pacific Lutheran University 25-15 in all three sets Oct. 24.
The two matches brought Linfield to a 5-7 Northwest Conference standing.
The Wildcats came out strong in their game against the Boxers, leading the first set by 10 points. They relied on strong offense from freshman outside hitter Katie Leavitt, as well as Pacific’s errors.
Sophomore middle blocker Rosa Gimson said the team prepared for success by limiting unforced errors during the past week’s practices.
In the next set, the ’Cats fell behind by seven points, allowing the Boxers to steal the second set.
“We allowed them to get back in the game instead of closing it up,” Gimson said.
The ’Cats trailed for most of the third set until sophomore outside hitter Tara Hill smashed down a kill to make the score 20-19. Senior middle blocker
Emily Vuylsteke closed the set with two kills in the final three points.
Linfield finished the match with a thrilling fourth set. The teams played a close game until Vuylsteke slammed down a kill to tie the set at 28. Pacific handed the win to Linfield by committing two attack errors during its final plays.
Sophomore outside hitter Samantha Lau contributed to the win with a game-high 47 assists. Hill added 12 digs to the victory.
“Our hitters cut down on personal mistakes,” head coach Shane Kimura said. “When we control the ball, it allows us to get better swings.”
Pacific Lutheran University swept Linfield in three sets the following night.
“We just didn’t play well on the road,” Kimura said. “PLU is a good team, and we didn’t get away with errors that could have passed with other teams.”
Linfield struggled to stay in the first set as PLU pulled away with a lead of 11 points. PLU played strong offense with kills from middle hitters sophomore Erin Bremond and senior Kelcy Joynt.
Gimson said that it was difficult to cover PLU’s hitters because of the areas they attacked.
Linfield led during the first part of the next set until PLU grabbed the lead at 10-9. Despite key offensive plays by Hill, the ’Cats were never able to reclaim their lead.
PLU wrapped up the match in the third set with another 10-point lead.
“We dug ourselves into a hole after we couldn’t shut down their hitting,” Gimson said.
Despite the loss, Gimson said that the team is learning consistency and teamwork.
“We have learned to trust each other a little more so that we are able to make successful plays off the great individual skills people have,” she said.
Next, Linfield travels to Willamette University on Oct. 28.
“We both have hitters who can put the ball away, so it will just be a matter of who can control the other team’s serves,” Kimura said.