Basketball greats begin MVP campaigns

Grant Lucas – Sports editor. The 2009 NBA season is officially underway, and everyone in the sports world is already making predictions.
Sports writers and fans are analyzing every team, pointing out strengths and exposing weaknesses. The big questions: Who will be the Most Valuable Player? Who will be named Rookie of the Year? But most importantly, who will be hoisting the Larry O’Brien Championship Trophy in June?
Laker guard Kobe Bryant didn’t waste any time making his mark, as last year’s MVP began his campaign for a repeat. Bryant put up unreal numbers against the Clippers on Oct. 27, pulling down eight rebounds, recording four steals and scoring 33 points. After defeating the cross-town rival Clippers, Bryant said, “We did OK.”
“OK” is a fair assessment of how the Lakers played. The defending champs shot only 41 percent from the field and 23 percent from behind the three-point line as they eked out a 99-92 victory.
Kobe, on the other hand, played out of his mind. Sure, he only shot 11-26 from the floor, but he made 11-12 free throws and was in his opponent’s face every minute he played. When you can shoot less than 50 percent on the night and still drop 33 points, you’re that good.
Lebron James also started his trek for the MVP crown and did so in ridiculous fashion.
The Cavaliers opened up their season against the Boston Celtics on Oct. 27. Although the Cavs lost 95-89, the King put up 38 points against the 2008 NBA champs, which is, for all you math majors, nearly half of Cleveland’s points. The next night, James recorded his 25th — I’ll say it again for emphasis — 25th career triple double against the Toronto Raptors.
Who cares if the Cavs have an 0-2 record? James is doing it all. He’s averaging more than 30 points, 10 assists and seven rebounds per game. What more can the kid do? I used to argue that the MVP award should go to the player who carries his team to victory and makes his team better. Technically, James is doing both. The problem is that the rest of the team can’t last long with him on the bench.
Honestly, is anyone else worth discussing? I’ll throw a name out that hasn’t been heard in a while: Gilbert Arenas.
Agent Zero has been out for some time, but he has made an unbelievable, Rocco Baldelli-like comeback.
In the season opener against the Dallas Mavericks on Oct. 27, Arenas led the Washington Wizards with 29 points and nine assists.
He has already played in half the games he dressed down for last season and, if he stays healthy, could play in the most contests in one season since the 2006-07 season, when he averaged nearly 29 points per game.
As far as predictions go, many sports writers have been thinking similarly. Almost all have the Lakers vying for a second-straight NBA title. This writer isn’t any different. How can you even think about denying this franchise a championship?
The Lakers have it all.
Kobe is the best all-around player, especially when it comes to efficiency and consistency. Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum have incredible presences in the paint on both the offensive and defensive ends. Ron Artest, Lamar Odom, Sasha Vujacic and Derek Fisher provide excellent outside and mid-range shooting.
Let’s not forget, except for the Clipper game, the Lakers play outstanding defense.
Last season, Los Angeles outscored its opponents 107-99 and was sixth in the league in defensive rating, which is a statistic that looks at points per 100 possessions.
The Cavs could put up a fight, but it would most likely end the same way the 2007 NBA championship played out — being swept in four games.
Some believe that the Boston Celtics could have a legitimate shot at a second title in three years. Wrong. All they have added is an aged outside shooter in Rasheed Wallace, who has accumulated more technical fouls in his career than all-star appearances and championship rings combined.
Don’t even mention the San Antonio Spurs.
My hatred for them aside, they have only two or three aspects to the game: Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli. A team, as shown in recent history, cannot bring home a championship with only three players.
Any other takers? If there are any other teams that you think could take the title, feel free to take a moment, think about it, look in the mirror and return to reality. We are amidst a new Laker Dynasty. Accept it, and we’ll move on.