’Cats pounce on GFU, scratched by Pacific

Grant Lucas – Sports editor. After defeating George Fox University 3-0 Oct. 17, the Linfield men’s soccer team fell to Pacific University on a 79th-minute goal Oct. 18.
With the split, the Wildcats sit at 5-8-1 overall — 4-5 in the Northwest Conference — and have sole possession of the fourth-place spot in the conference.
“I think the biggest difference in the two games this weekend was that we finished on chances that were presented to us,” freshman goalkeeper Cody Tipton said. “We scored early against GFU but missed early opportunities against Pacific.”
Senior Kurtis Wong said that although Linfield was defeated by Pacific, the team played well in both games.
“We put ourselves in a position to win both days,” he said. “The only difference is that we couldn’t find the back of the net against Pacific.”
In the matchup against GFU, Wong set the tone early, netting his fifth goal of the season fewer than two minutes into the contest off an assist from senior Travis Isaacs.
Carrying a 1-0 lead into the second half, Linfield again struck early. Senior Gabi Del Rayo scored in the 46th minute off a pass from Wong.
The ’Cats sealed the victory in the 64th minute when Isaacs and Wong connected for the second time, resulting in another goal.
For the second time this season, Wong issued a pair of scores against the Bruins, which accounts for two-thirds of his goals this season.
Tipton recorded six saves in the match as the Wildcats held the Bruins to 10 shots — seven of which were on goal.
“I try to lead by example,” Tipton said. “When I make saves, my team rallies behind me and picks up [its] game. We’re all working for each other.”
Linfield did not carry its momentum into the Pacific game, however, as the NWC top-ranked Boxers denied the ’Cats an upset with a 79th minute goal by junior Jasem Jaihouni.
Following a scoreless 72 minutes, the Wildcats watched a golden opportunity to take the lead slip through their fingers. Isaacs found himself one-on-one with Pacific junior goalie Andrew Stevermer in the 73rd minute. Isaacs’ shot was deflected by Stevermer’s right foot, keeping the match at a scoreless tie.
Six minutes later, Boxer freshman Jorge Mandujano crossed the ball into the box. The pass found Jaihouni, who connected from short range. His league-leading seventh goal proved to be the game winner.
Although the Wildcats outshot Pacific 13-7, Linfield was shut out by Stevermer, who recorded his NWC-leading seventh shutout and extended his streak of scoreless minutes to 664. With three more, Stevermer can set the school record for shutouts in a single season.
“Everyone is still looking ahead to see what we can accomplish,” Wong said. “We’re working hard in practices to end up with the best finish possible.”
Linfield returns to action Oct. 24 when the team travels to Tacoma, Wash., to face NWC second-ranked Pacific Lutheran University. The Wildcats then remain in Tacoma to take on the University of Puget Sound on Oct. 25.
The Wildcats are first in the NWC for saves with 89 and are third in the conference with 184 shots taken.
Individually, junior Michel Camacho is first among all NWC players with 39 shots taken, averaging three per game.
With his two scores, Wong is tied for fourth in the NWC in goals with six.
“Most importantly, we are trying to stay healthy,” Tipton said. “But we will be learning about each team’s key players, as well as what the teams do well and struggle with.”
Wong said he thinks his work ethic will rub off on others.
“I’m working as hard as I can day-in and day-out,” he said. “Hard work is contagious, and, in doing so, it will hopefully spread throughout the team.”