Linfield beats Willamette, tied for fourth in NWC

Grant Lucas – Sports editor. With goals from five upperclassmen, the Linfield men’s soccer team put on a clinic in a rout against Willamette University on Oct. 11.
The Wildcats improved to 4-7-1 overall and 3-4 in Northwest Conference play with the 5-1 victory, while Willamette dropped to 3-9 overall and a 2-5 conference record.
The ’Cats pounced on the Bearcats early with a goal by senior Kurtis Wong.
Just 13 seconds into the match, junior Michel Camacho streaked down the sideline and lofted the ball into the box. After a deflection by a Willamette defender, Wong drilled the ball into the back of the net. Although Willamette argued for a handball, the goal stood.
In the 25th minute, junior Nick Powers extended the Wildcat lead to 2-0. Willamette junior goalkeeper Eben Hellekson reacted to a cross in the box, tipping it out. Powers, however, found an opening and put the deflection in for a score.
The Bearcats had an opportunity to cut the lead in half in the 29th minute. Freshman Loftin Langsdorf began the offensive attack, crossing the ball into the box. Senior Luke Lagattuta headed the pass from 15 yards out. The ball found sophomore Erik Kaufman, who headed it toward the goal, but Wildcat freshman goalie Cody Tipton reacted at the last minute, swatting the ball away for the save.
Willamette ran into some problems in the 39th minute when freshman Etienne Galbreath was red-carded for dissent. The Bearcats were forced to play a man down the remainder of the game.
Despite the two-goal lead at halftime, Linfield was outshot by Willamette 6-5 and trailed in shots on goal 5-4.
The Wildcats came out strong once again in the second half, recording 11 shots on goal. Junior Colin Bebee tallied his first goal of the season in the 52nd minute off an assist from freshman Danny Snelgrow. Junior Carter Elhabbassi and senior Gabi Del Rayo scored soon after, giving Linfield a 5-0 advantage.
In the 83rd minute, Willamette junior Pete Kline sent a 45-yard pass to Lagattuta, who finished the play with a header into the left corner of the goal.
Tipton finished the game with four saves in just more than 61 minutes played.
The ’Cats stand in a fourth-place tie in the NWC with the University of Puget Sound. Linfield defeated UPS, however, on Sept. 19 in its NWC opener.
After beginning the season 0-3-1, the Wildcats rebounded, winning back-to-back games after a loss to the University of California, Santa Cruz and have won four out of the last eight games.
Linfield remains at home for a 2:30 p.m. matchup against George Fox University on Oct. 17. The Wildcats then host second-place Pacific University on Oct. 18.