Favre: ‘personification of professionalism’

Grant Lucas – Sports editor. During the past few years in the National Football League, several players have found themselves in sticky, and most likely illegal, situations. The NFL has done its best to deal with each issue, attempting to set precedent for future incidents and trying to shape its athletes into outstanding role models.
It hasn’t worked very well.
Every week, another story emerges about a player who has been charged with drug use or possession, gun possession, violence or driving under the influence. This commentary won’t focus on what the league should or should not do to address those problems. Rather, it will focus on an athlete that exemplifies what the league, general managers, coaches and teammates see as a perfect player.
This athlete exceeds the competition with ease, credits his teammates and coaches for every victory, takes the blame for each loss, rarely, if ever, breaks the rules, is an ideal role model and is the new face of the NFL: Brett Favre.
The 40-year-old Minnesota Viking quarterback is amid his 19th season in the league and has led his team to a 5-0 record in the early-goings of the season, its best start since 2003. After the fifth victory, Favre said of his team:
“I think, physically and from a talent level, this is the best team I’ve ever been on.”
In 2008, after a 13-3 2007 season and another Pro Bowl selection, Favre announced his retirement from the game. In July 2008, he filed for reinstatement and was traded to the New York Jets a month later. Following a 9-7 season, Favre retired again in February 2009. He, unlike many others, firmly believed this was the real thing.
In August 2009, Favre signed with the Minnesota Vikings. Around this time, many people in the sports world questioned Favre’s need for attention, saying that it overshadowed his legacy as a football player.
His need for attention? How can people believe that he needs attention? The man has set all-time career records for touchdown passes (473); passing yards (65,964); pass completions (5,805); pass attempts (9,405); consecutive starts (275–296 if postseason is counted); and regular season wins as a starter (174). He recently became the first quarterback in history to defeat all 32 teams. The man deserves attention.
Favre, for the most part, has stayed out of trouble throughout his career. The only incident that mars his legacy occurred in 1995. While being treated for various injuries, he became addicted to Vicodin. The information went public after he suffered a seizure during a hospital visit. Favre spoke out soon after to smother any rumors about his condition.
In May 1996, Favre admitted himself to a rehabilitation center, and after 46 days, he was clean. Favre then led the Packers to their best season in 30 years, capping it off with a Super Bowl victory.
Is his success not convincing enough? In 1996, Favre established the Brett Favre Fourward Foundation, which, in conjunction with golf tournaments, celebrity softball games and fundraising dinners, has donated more than $2 million to Mississippi and Wisconsin charities.
Favre is statistically the best quarterback ever and has become one of the greatest human beings to step foot on the gridiron. He is the personification of professionalism.