Hurdus, Kilborn take first in invitational

Jessica Prokop – Review staff writer. The women’s golf team was victorious at the Linfield Invitational on Oct. 11, taking first place at its final tournament before the Fall Classic.
Linfield hosted the tournament at Michelbook Country Club. Other competing teams included Lewis & Clark College and Willamette University.
Linfield finished with a final score of 339, Willamette recorded a 411 and Lewis & Clark did not finish because of a lack of players.
Head coach Karly Cramer said she was pleased with how well the team played, especially junior Katie Kilborn.
“I was surprised because I haven’t been playing very well this year, but I was definitely happy with the win,” Kilborn said.
She tied for first with junior Brynn Hurdus, shooting an 83 and 11 over par. Kilborn sank one birdie on the seventh hole and scored pars and bogeys for the remainder of the course. This was her first collegiate win.
Hurdus sank one birdie on the 17th hole and scored pars and bogeys on all the others.
“I expected to do well because it is our home course, and there were only three teams,” Hurdus said.
She said she was excited and proud of Kilborn’s win.
“She has always had the ability to win; she just psyches herself out,” Hurdus said.
The top six players from the Linfield Invitational will represent the Wildcats in the Fall Classic. Hurdus and Kilborn, along with senior Brittany Johnston, sophomore Sophie Corr and freshmen Brinn Hovede and Melissa Johnson will compete in the tournament.
Kilborn said she believes that Linfield will place in the top three in the competition.
“Our biggest competitor is George Fox, but Whitworth usually comes out on top, as well,” Kilborn said.
Cramer said she is confident that Linfield will be in the top five for the tournament. However, the competing Washington schools are still an unknown factor, as the Wildcats have not played against them.
“We definitely have the ability to win as long as the girls focus on their putting and are able to drop a few strokes,” Cramer said.
The men’s golf team has not played in a tournament since the Whitworth Invitational on Oct. 4 and 5.
Because the team does not have a scheduled tournament until the Fall Classic, it has been preparing for the final meet with practice sessions, some of which have taken place at Michelbook.
Seniors Tyler Nelson, Yutaro Sakamoto, Joel Rychard and Tony Kordosky, sophomore Alex Fitch and freshman Alex Spicer will represent the men’s team at the Fall Classic.
The Northwest Fall Classic will be held at Heron Lakes Golf Club in Portland on Oct. 17 and 18 for both the men’s and women’s teams.