Men’s, women’s golf swing way to success

Jessica Prokop – Review staff writer. The men’s golf team triumphed at the Linfield Invitational on Sept. 26-27, winning its third straight tournament of the season.
The tournament was held at the team’s home course, Michelbook Country Club. Other schools competing included Corban College, Pacific Lutheran University, University of Oregon, Concordia University and Lewis & Clark College.
The final standing after the weekend had Linfield with a total of 582 points; Corban, 620; Pacific Lutheran, 627; UO, 658; and Concordia, 664. Lewis & Clark did not have all of its players finish.
On the first day, unfamiliarity with the course negatively affected the other teams’ game. However, Linfield began strong and ended with a total of 290. The second day was just as solid with the team gaining only two more strokes than the previous day.
“We expected to take first because it was our home course, and we are the veteran team,” coach Gary Copeland said.
Senior Tyler Nelson led his team to victory, ranking first in the overall tournament with a score of 138 and six under par.
”The first day was my lowest round ever, but it is always kind of tough when the second day doesn’t go the same way,” Nelson said.
Copeland said that Nelson was only one stroke short of the course record, sinking seven birdies the first day and three the second.
Nelson was not the only player who landed a hefty amount of birdies. Senior Tony Kordosky dropped six in the first 10 holes.
“But there were a lot of struggle holes with double and triple bogies,” Copeland said.
The team’s next tournament, the Whitworth Invitational, will take place in Spokane, Wash., on Oct. 3 and 4.
The men were not the only ones who had a successful tournament last weekend. The women’s team took second place in the Pacific Invitational.
Schools included George Fox, Northwest Christian, Willamette and Pacific universities.
The final standings featured George Fox in first place with 665; Linfield, 683; Pacific, 728; Northwest Christian, 731; and Willamette, 805.
“The entire team played well, despite the very windy conditions on the first day,” coach Karly Cramer said.
She said the team looked fantastic off the tee. Everyone was in the fairway for the most part, but they need more practice putting on the green, she said.
Senior Brittany Johnston ranked first for her team and third overall with a combined score of 162 and 18 over par. Junior Brynn Hurdus contributed, as well, ranking fourth overall with a total score of 167 and 23 over par.
This was the first tournament for Hurdus this season.
“I felt really happy with how I played, although I don’t think my score reflected that,” Hurdus said.
Hurdus said she had a difficult time dropping putts. Part of the reason was because of the windy weather. She said that it affects the direction of the ball and that she had to constantly adjust. However, she found that many of her adjustments were unnecessary at times and caused her problems.
“It is frustrating that we came in second again to George Fox, but I know we have the capability to beat them, and we will pull through in the end when it counts the most,” Hurdus said.
The Wildcats will host the women’s Linfield Invitational at Michelbook Country Club on Oct. 11.