Third time’s not the charm for Wildcats

Linfield’s men soccer sits at a 0-2-1 record, but is preparing to change that in California this weekend.
The Linfield men’s soccer team can’t seem to catch a break: first a loss to Warner Pacific College’s Knights, then a scoreless tie with Northwest Christian College, followed by another loss to the Cal Baptist University Lancers, leaving the ’Cats with a 0-2-1 record for the season.
The Wildcats will attempt to redeem themselves this weekend against UC-Santa Cruz on Sept. 11 and the University of the Redlands on Sept. 13.
“They are going to be good tests,” head coach Ian Lefebvre said. “It will be two tough games.”
In their latest defeat, the Wildcats lost 1-0 to Cal Baptist, letting in one goal in the eighth minute. The Lancers controlled most of the first half with a sharp passing game. Linfield was unable to score despite its seven corner kick attempts. Lefebvre said this was caused in part by several injuries that have plagued the team this year.
“There were a couple of games where we had to [play] without three or four of our starters,” he said.
The Lancers’ control continued through the second half as well. Cal Baptist outshot the Wildcats 20-9.
The loss followed a scoreless 0-0 tie against the Beacons on Sept. 5. Since the match was nonconference, the teams agreed not to play overtime.
The Beacons also outshot the ’Cats 19-15. Three yellow cards were issued, two of which went to Wildcats.