Back-to-back wins build momentum

Grant Lucas – Sports editor. After a loss to Western Oregon University in its 2009 season opener, the Linfield women’s soccer team rebounded, winning back-to-back games against Corban College and Northwestern Christian University.
The Wildcats allowed the first WOU hat trick in more than six seasons Sept. 1. Western junior Rachelle Kliewer, the accomplisher, scored all three goals within the first 18 minutes of the match.
Junior MacKenzie Doty recorded the only first-half goal for Linfield on a penalty kick. The Wildcats trailed 5-1 at the break.
Although Doty and freshman Julia Vaughan tallied goals in the second half, Western prevailed 6-3.
Linfield played its home opener Sept. 2 against Corban. The ’Cats outshot their opponent 14-3 after 64 minutes, but the score remained tied 1-1.
Freshman Anna Sours and Doty cashed in goals in the 83rd and 89th minutes, sealing a Linfield victory.
NCU hosted the Wildcats Sept. 5, but it was shut down by a quick-shooting Linfield squad.
Doty tallied two goals in the contest, bringing her season total to six. Sours added a goal of her own in the 21st minute. Junior Sara Blake scored 10 minutes later. Junior Rennika Doty tallied the final Wildcat goal in the 55th minute.
Junior Kelsey Hasselblad made four saves in the game, helping Linfield to a 4-1 win.
The Wildcats take their game on the road to Portland on Sept. 12, where they will take on Warner Pacific College. Linfield then challenges Willamette University on Sept. 16 in Salem.