City of not-so-much Brotherly Love

Grant Lucas – Sports editor. Quarterback Michael Vick was recently reinstated by the National Football League and signed by the Philadelphia Eagles. The Eagles’ organization showed excitement for his arrival because he brings an explosive and unique game to Pennsylvania’s City of Brotherly Love.
Many Philadelphia citizens and Eagle fans didn’t show much love, however, saying that Vick blew his chance with his more-than-frowned-upon actions.
Still, the decision was made by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to allow Vick to play. Nothing can be done—that is, to remove Vick from the league.
Bill Smith, CEO and founder of Main Line Animal Rescue in Philadelphia, found a way for Eagle fans to encourage Vick to be on the gridiron but not to win.
Smith’s idea involves running a series of anti-Vick advertisements. The first was planned to run in Sept. 9’s Washington Post. A copy was sent to ESPN, the Eagles and several animal rights groups. It reads:
“Attention football fans. Philadelphia is playing Washington on October 26th. Every time Michael Vick is tackled during the game, Main Line Animal Rescue will donate five bags of dog food to your local animal shelter.”
“We feel guilty sending Michael Vick to other cities,” Smith told ESPN. “Maybe it’s our way of apologizing for bringing Michael Vick on our team.”
Similar ads will run in cities the Eagles visit. Smith also plans to put up billboards near Lincoln Financial Field, the Eagles home turf.
Good for Bill. He’s helping benefit man’s best friend by encouraging players to tackle, and possibly injure, a prolific athlete who has paid his dues—a man who continues to apologize and make public appearances.
Let the man play. He made a mistake; we all do. Why aren’t the other participants of that violent night being harassed? Oh, because Vick is a public figure and makes millions. He’s a human being who deserves a second chance.
Besides, he and the Eagles are already taking action on the subject with broadcast-based campaigns to fight animal cruelty.
I’m not even sure Eagle fans understand what Vick brings to the table. Are they aware that he set the record for rushing yards by a quarterback in 2006? Do they know that he holds the NFL record for most yards per carry in that same season? Have they discovered that he’s the first quarterback to pass for 250 yards and rush for 100 in the same game in 2004? I doubt it.
Naysayers need to let him perform. If he winds up being a bust, bash him. But it will be funny to see Vick shine. I look forward to the moment when the Eagles organization says, “We told you so.”